This issue is officially corrected by Microsoft. Go here to get the Hotfix:HotFix for Event Log Error 257
optimize drives The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)
cant optimize one of my storage drives. its starts of analyzing drive then just never actually does a defrag.
in event viewer im getting this error for the drive in question: "was not optimised because an error was encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)".
the drive passes error checking with no problems.
any help would be greatly appreciated
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I finally found a solution that worked for me here:
Open an Administrator command prompt and make use of fsutil:
fsutil usn deletejournal /D <volume pathname>
fsutil usn createjournal m=<max-value> a=<alloc-delta> <volume pathname>
Eg :
fsutil usn deletejournal /D C:
fsutil usn createjournal m=1000 a=100 C:
After using these commands I was able to defragment C: without an error showing up in the event viewer. I'm not sure if this is a permanent or temporary fix, and someone mentioned in that thread that it didn't work with a server so YMMV.
47 additional answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2014-03-02T10:16:18+00:00 Kiran Jayakumar,
I have identified the problem with defrag and other such programs that should work with the NTFS file system. The problem occurs when the total free clusters listed by the MFT is a negative number such as when the cluster size is larger than the MFT file record size. It would seem that the programmers did not account for this and include the 2^(negative cluster size) rule. Instead, it errors and fails the defrag.
This will need to be tested by your programmers as it is included in the NTFS specification and is most likely the cause of the errors.
Sincerely,
Erick Couts II
I did some investigation myself, and what I found agrees with this! (Although not verbatim)
-
Anonymous
2014-03-04T11:52:55+00:00 fsutil usn deletejournal /D C:
fsutil usn createjournal m=1000 a=100 C:
Thank you for pointing that out. One of my test lab domain controllers (Server 2012 R2 Core) picked this defrag problem in Hyper-V up after a power outage + UPS death.
Whatever the exact problem was that I had within my USN, chkdsk cannot detect the problem. Defrag was always failing at 3% with the error 0x80070057. Until I reset the USN, only defrag optimization and analysis were working, but both a full defrag and space consolidation were broken.
Except for defrag not working, there was no sign of anything being wrong with the VM. Full Chkdsk, dism, sfc, and dcdiag scans all reported everything as healthy.
-
Anonymous
2014-03-10T16:28:46+00:00 I finally found a solution that worked for me here:
Open an Administrator command prompt and make use of fsutil:
fsutil usn deletejournal /D <volume pathname>
fsutil usn createjournal m=<max-value> a=<alloc-delta> <volume pathname>
Eg :
fsutil usn deletejournal /D C:
fsutil usn createjournal m=1000 a=100 C:
After using these commands I was able to defragment C: without an error showing up in the event viewer. I'm not sure if this is a permanent or temporary fix, and someone mentioned in that thread that it didn't work with a server so YMMV.
This worked for me, thx.