optimize drives The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)

Anonymous
2013-07-21T15:58:57+00:00

cant optimize one of my storage drives. its starts of analyzing drive then just never actually does a defrag.

in event viewer im getting this error for the drive in question: "was not optimised because an error was encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)".

the drive passes error checking with no problems.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-04-01T17:24:55+00:00

This issue is officially corrected by Microsoft. Go here to get the Hotfix:HotFix for Event Log Error 257

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-02-10T19:48:47+00:00

I finally found a solution that worked for me here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6d782ade-f4de-43bf-8cea-647828b35757/strange-defrag-error-0x80070057?forum=winserverfiles

Open an Administrator command prompt and make use of fsutil:

fsutil usn deletejournal /D <volume pathname>

fsutil usn createjournal m=<max-value> a=<alloc-delta> <volume pathname>

Eg :

fsutil usn deletejournal /D C:

fsutil usn createjournal m=1000 a=100 C:

After using these commands I was able to defragment C: without an error showing up in the event viewer. I'm not sure if this is a permanent or temporary fix, and someone mentioned in that thread that it didn't work with a server so YMMV.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-17T10:10:00+00:00

    Same issue for me. I did a clean Windows 8 install on a brand new WD1003FZEX Black HDD, then updated to 8.1, and get this error event every time I try to defrag. Happens anytime I try to defrag the C drive (the recovery partition seems to defrag OK, though). I ran several processes to check the disk, but it always comes back in good health, so I really don't think it's the new HDD.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-17T11:55:09+00:00

    I also get all the time twice a day the same error in Windows Event Viewer.  I have posted the question on superuser, they are a much better community:  http://superuser.com/questions/699480/defragmentation-error-the-volume-c-was-not-optimized

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-27T07:00:27+00:00

    Kiran Jayakumar,

    I have identified the problem with defrag and other such programs that should work with the NTFS file system.  The problem occurs when the total free clusters listed by the MFT is a negative number such as when the cluster size is larger than the MFT file record size.  It would seem that the programmers did not account for this and include the 2^(negative cluster size) rule.  Instead, it errors and fails the defrag.

    This will need to be tested by your programmers as it is included in the NTFS specification and is most likely the cause of the errors.

    Sincerely,

    Erick Couts II

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments