optimize drives The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)

Anonymous
2013-07-21T15:58:57+00:00

cant optimize one of my storage drives. its starts of analyzing drive then just never actually does a defrag.

in event viewer im getting this error for the drive in question: "was not optimised because an error was encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)".

the drive passes error checking with no problems.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-04-01T17:24:55+00:00

This issue is officially corrected by Microsoft. Go here to get the Hotfix:HotFix for Event Log Error 257

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-02-10T19:48:47+00:00

I finally found a solution that worked for me here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6d782ade-f4de-43bf-8cea-647828b35757/strange-defrag-error-0x80070057?forum=winserverfiles

Open an Administrator command prompt and make use of fsutil:

fsutil usn deletejournal /D <volume pathname>

fsutil usn createjournal m=<max-value> a=<alloc-delta> <volume pathname>

Eg :

fsutil usn deletejournal /D C:

fsutil usn createjournal m=1000 a=100 C:

After using these commands I was able to defragment C: without an error showing up in the event viewer. I'm not sure if this is a permanent or temporary fix, and someone mentioned in that thread that it didn't work with a server so YMMV.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-22T19:22:26+00:00

    Hello Regina\_SK\_Canada,

    Once again please read the thread.  As the other users have mentioned that does not fix the issue.  If it was that easy non of us would be here.  Once again we all know how to use Google/Bing.

    I get the message on my C: which holds my OS (Very typical/standard Windows Install).  It only happens on this drive.  It is also not an SSD.  The issues appears to happen on both HDD and SSD.

    The only reason I keep replying back to these lame duck responses is in hopes that some at MS that can actually make a difference see this.

    Thanks,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-11T22:32:29+00:00

    I get the same error.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-31T15:58:13+00:00

    Same here.  Still erroring.  I wonder when Microsoft will, if ever, get on the ball about actually fixing things that broke during their upgrade?  Hey, there's always Linux!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments