This issue is officially corrected by Microsoft. Go here to get the Hotfix:HotFix for Event Log Error 257
optimize drives The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)
cant optimize one of my storage drives. its starts of analyzing drive then just never actually does a defrag.
in event viewer im getting this error for the drive in question: "was not optimised because an error was encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)".
the drive passes error checking with no problems.
any help would be greatly appreciated
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I finally found a solution that worked for me here:
Open an Administrator command prompt and make use of fsutil:
fsutil usn deletejournal /D <volume pathname>
fsutil usn createjournal m=<max-value> a=<alloc-delta> <volume pathname>
Eg :
fsutil usn deletejournal /D C:
fsutil usn createjournal m=1000 a=100 C:
After using these commands I was able to defragment C: without an error showing up in the event viewer. I'm not sure if this is a permanent or temporary fix, and someone mentioned in that thread that it didn't work with a server so YMMV.
47 additional answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2013-11-15T00:51:43+00:00 I have to say the "advice" given in this thread, even by supposedly knowledgeable MS people, is abominable!
The problem is that (for the first time for me, after Win 8.1 update), the attempt to optimize (aka Trim) the SSD System Reserved Partition, under Windows 8.1 with defrag, whether automatically or manually, whether using command line prompt or Task Scheduler: SIMPLY WON'T WORK.
I have read across the internet about this and no-one has provided a reasonable solution.
I did not have this problem until updating a fresh Win8.0-from-DVD- Pro 64 bit installation to Win8.1 through the MS "store."
Please, MS, someone there who knows what's going on, fix this.
Exactly right.
And some of the people who replied after the post I'm quoting were less than helpful. Seriously, if you not only post several times, but post bad information several times, you need to set fire to your computer.
I never had this problem before updating (notice I do not say upGRading) to Windows 8.1, from Windows 8. I have an SSD and the system partition has no drive letter. This never used to be a problem before.
Yes, you can avoid the error in the event log by deselecting the problematic partition. Brilliant advice. You can also cure a stubbed toe by amputating the entire leg.
The only workaround I have found so far is to assign a drive letter to the partition that has none. This has allowed me to run a trim on the applicable partition. Note that while some people report that they can use the Disk Management [cr]applet to assign a drive letter, I could not. I had to use the diskpart command line utility (which is native to Windows). Once I had assigned a drive letter--and then after an inexplicable delay--I was able to optimize that partition.
Basic steps to use diskpart to assign a drive letter to the system partition (I don't have the time or energy to provide agonizing detail):
- Open an elevated command prompt.
- Type diskpart and press Enter. You leave the standard command prompt and enter the diskpart utility. (Nothing exciting happens, don't worry.)
- Type list disk and press Enter to get a listing of the disks on the system. (More accurately, the disks visible to diskpart.) Figure out which disk contains the partition you want to assign a drive letter to.
- Type select disk X, where X is the applicable disk number.
- Type list partition and press Enter to get a listing of recognized partitions on disk X (from step 4). Your desired partition will the listed there. If not, go outside and enjoy nature.
- Type select partition Y, where Y is the applicable partition number.
- Type assign letter=Z, where Z is the drive letter you wish to assign. Diskpart should reply: DiskPart successfully assigned the drive letter or mount point.
Once the system recognizes the drive letter (a reboot may help; as I mentioned, I did not reboot before the trim worked, but did have to wait awhile), you should be able to defrag/trim.
To unassign the drive letter:
A. Carry out steps 1 - 6 above.
B. Type remove and press Enter. Diskpart should reply: DiskPart successfully removed the drive letter or mount point.
I hope this helps.
I'm going outside.
-
Anonymous
2013-11-09T20:14:28+00:00 cant optimize one of my storage drives. its starts of analyzing drive then just never actually does a defrag.
in event viewer im getting this error for the drive in question: "was not optimised because an error was encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)".
the drive passes error checking with no problems.
any help would be greatly appreciated
I guess everyone is missing this fix,
HELLO THIS IS THE FIX BELOW
Go to This PC (Windows 8.1) right click your drive select properties then select the Tools Tab then select optimize, only drives that have drive letters need to be optimized, turn off optimize on partitions(s) that don't have drive letters assigned to them
Your hidden partitions (which can be viewed in Disk manager) are being defragged which should not happen, just right click your drive(s) (SSD or HDD)
Let me know how it goes
Your are hilarious man. The fix is not that easy my friend. As others have posted this is my c: drive. My partitions are good, HDD is not failing (SMART) bla bla bla. It's a bug. I've also reinstalled the os and same problem. Thanks for your time but I too know how to us google. None of those fixes work. I'd love to hear any other ideas but please do not regurgitate common knowledge that anyone can find using google. I suspect we've all already done that. Also the issue started after I upgraded to 8.1
Thanks for the attempt.
I would recommend disabling optimizations on all your drive(s) for a while; then try again, you can always use third party software if you really need to defag
Just to let you know it worked for me so I don't have this bug as you call it and I have SDD and HDD drives
-
Anonymous
2013-11-09T20:08:01+00:00 I don't think anyone missed it. I got four emails with this proposed fix.
I don't even have any "hidden partitions" (quotes because I associate that with TrueCrypt volumes), so this is not applicable to my case.
Ok did you go into to disk manage and check your partitions
Truecrypt is encryption software, so I am not sure what you are referring to
If you follow the instructions anyhow; you can disable optimization on all drives for a while then put it back to see if that changes anything