optimize drives The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)

Anonymous
2013-07-21T15:58:57+00:00

cant optimize one of my storage drives. its starts of analyzing drive then just never actually does a defrag.

in event viewer im getting this error for the drive in question: "was not optimised because an error was encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)".

the drive passes error checking with no problems.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-04-01T17:24:55+00:00

This issue is officially corrected by Microsoft. Go here to get the Hotfix:HotFix for Event Log Error 257

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-02-10T19:48:47+00:00

I finally found a solution that worked for me here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6d782ade-f4de-43bf-8cea-647828b35757/strange-defrag-error-0x80070057?forum=winserverfiles

Open an Administrator command prompt and make use of fsutil:

fsutil usn deletejournal /D <volume pathname>

fsutil usn createjournal m=<max-value> a=<alloc-delta> <volume pathname>

Eg :

fsutil usn deletejournal /D C:

fsutil usn createjournal m=1000 a=100 C:

After using these commands I was able to defragment C: without an error showing up in the event viewer. I'm not sure if this is a permanent or temporary fix, and someone mentioned in that thread that it didn't work with a server so YMMV.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-21T16:17:03+00:00

    HELLO THIS IS THE FIX BELOW

    Go to This PC (Windows 8.1) right click your drive select properties then select the Tools Tab then select optimize, only drives that have drive letters need to be optimized, turn off optimize on partitions(s) that don't have drive letters assigned to them

    Your hidden partitions (which can be viewed in Disk manager) are being defragged which should not happen, just right click your drive(s) (SSD or HDD)

    Let me know how it goes

    Dear Sir, The steps you have layer out are not possible. "turn off optimize on partitions(s) that don't have drive letters assigned to them"   There is not option to selectively turn off optimization following the steps you have given.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-19T22:16:31+00:00

    I too would like a comment or fix from MS about this hidden partition defrag/retrim issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-15T13:56:57+00:00

    I have to say the "advice" given in this thread, even by supposedly knowledgeable MS people, is abominable!

    The problem is that (for the first time for me, after Win 8.1 update), the attempt to optimize (aka Trim) the SSD System Reserved Partition, under Windows 8.1 with defrag, whether automatically or manually, whether using command line prompt or Task Scheduler: SIMPLY WON'T WORK.

    I have read across the internet about this and no-one has provided a reasonable solution.

    I did not have this problem until updating a fresh Win8.0-from-DVD- Pro 64 bit installation to Win8.1 through the MS "store."

    Please, MS, someone there who knows what's going on, fix this.

    Exactly right.

    And some of the people who replied after the post I'm quoting were less than helpful. Seriously, if you not only post several times, but post bad information several times, you need to set fire to your computer.

    I never had this problem before updating (notice I do not say upGRading) to Windows 8.1, from Windows 8. I have an SSD and the system partition has no drive letter. This never used to be a problem before.

    Yes, you can avoid the error in the event log by deselecting the problematic partition. Brilliant advice. You can also cure a stubbed toe by amputating the entire leg.

    The only workaround I have found so far is to assign a drive letter to the partition that has none. This has allowed me to run a trim on the applicable partition. Note that while some people report that they can use the Disk Management [cr]applet to assign a drive letter, I could not. I had to use the diskpart command line utility (which is native to Windows). Once I had assigned a drive letter--and then after an inexplicable delay--I was able to optimize that partition.

    Basic steps to use diskpart to assign a drive letter to the system partition (I don't have the time or energy to provide agonizing detail):

    1. Open an elevated command prompt.
    2. Type diskpart and press Enter. You leave the standard command prompt and enter the diskpart utility. (Nothing exciting happens, don't worry.)
    3. Type list disk and press Enter to get a listing of the disks on the system. (More accurately, the disks visible to diskpart.) Figure out which disk contains the partition you want to assign a drive letter to.
    4. Type select disk X, where X is the applicable disk number.
    5. Type list partition and press Enter to get a listing of recognized partitions on disk X (from step 4). Your desired partition will the listed there. If not, go outside and enjoy nature.
    6. Type select partition Y, where Y is the applicable partition number.
    7. Type assign letter=Z, where Z is the drive letter you wish to assign. Diskpart should reply: DiskPart successfully assigned the drive letter or mount point.

    Once the system recognizes the drive letter (a reboot may help; as I mentioned, I did not reboot before the trim worked, but did have to wait awhile), you should be able to defrag/trim.

    To unassign the drive letter:

    A. Carry out steps 1 - 6 above.

    B. Type remove and press Enter. Diskpart should reply: DiskPart successfully removed the drive letter or mount point.

    I hope this helps.

    I'm going outside.

    Perfect thanks fort the work around, I actually agree with your whole post, I am sure MS is aware of this, lets see if there will be updates, perhaps they will remove support with this altogether and let third party vendors take care of our SSD, hard disk(s) etc...

    As ridiculous as this might sound I don't use Defragging software at all, I have never noticed any difference after years of using a computer vs a computer that uses defragging, however if you are in to video editing you might want to use it as well but having said that I use a separate drive for video editing

    I just found that using it actually diminishes the life of the product as you have to keep running the software on the drives or analyzing all the  time to ensure you squeeze out the extra micro second, yeah you keep everything contiguous so that the drive does not have to work harder at retrieving files  but really they are not working any harder etc... but for me there is just not enough value, drives are cheap and I keep everything backed up

    OK way off topic here

    I think I will go outside too

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments