This issue is officially corrected by Microsoft. Go here to get the Hotfix:HotFix for Event Log Error 257
optimize drives The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)
cant optimize one of my storage drives. its starts of analyzing drive then just never actually does a defrag.
in event viewer im getting this error for the drive in question: "was not optimised because an error was encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)".
the drive passes error checking with no problems.
any help would be greatly appreciated
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I finally found a solution that worked for me here:
Open an Administrator command prompt and make use of fsutil:
fsutil usn deletejournal /D <volume pathname>
fsutil usn createjournal m=<max-value> a=<alloc-delta> <volume pathname>
Eg :
fsutil usn deletejournal /D C:
fsutil usn createjournal m=1000 a=100 C:
After using these commands I was able to defragment C: without an error showing up in the event viewer. I'm not sure if this is a permanent or temporary fix, and someone mentioned in that thread that it didn't work with a server so YMMV.
47 additional answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2013-12-11T22:32:29+00:00 I get the same error.
-
Anonymous
2013-11-22T19:22:26+00:00 Hello Regina\_SK\_Canada,
Once again please read the thread. As the other users have mentioned that does not fix the issue. If it was that easy non of us would be here. Once again we all know how to use Google/Bing.
I get the message on my C: which holds my OS (Very typical/standard Windows Install). It only happens on this drive. It is also not an SSD. The issues appears to happen on both HDD and SSD.
The only reason I keep replying back to these lame duck responses is in hopes that some at MS that can actually make a difference see this.
Thanks,
-
Anonymous
2013-11-22T17:20:37+00:00 HELLO THIS IS THE FIX BELOW
Go to This PC (Windows 8.1) right click your drive select properties then select the Tools Tab then select optimize, only drives that have drive letters need to be optimized, turn off optimize on partitions(s) that don't have drive letters assigned to them
Your hidden partitions (which can be viewed in Disk manager) are being defragged which should not happen, just right click your drive(s) (SSD or HDD)
Let me know how it goes
Dear Sir, The steps you have layer out are not possible. "turn off optimize on partitions(s) that don't have drive letters assigned to them" There is not option to selectively turn off optimization following the steps you have given.
I was having the same error. I hope this fixes it, as has been suggested, but this is what they meant:
Right-click any drive. Choose Properties. Choose Tools tab. Choose Optimize. Under Scheduled optimization, choose Change settings. Beside "Drives" click Choose. This is where you can deselect the partitions you wish to exclude, such as Recovery partitions.
EDIT: I did the above, but I still get the same error if I optimize my non-solid-state D: drive:
"The volume OS (D:) was not optimized because an error was encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)"
Also, running at CMD prompt, running "defrag D: /V /U" errors after 3% complete with the same error:
Performing pass 1:
Defragmentation: 3% complete...
The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)