This issue is officially corrected by Microsoft. Go here to get the Hotfix:HotFix for Event Log Error 257
optimize drives The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)
cant optimize one of my storage drives. its starts of analyzing drive then just never actually does a defrag.
in event viewer im getting this error for the drive in question: "was not optimised because an error was encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)".
the drive passes error checking with no problems.
any help would be greatly appreciated
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I finally found a solution that worked for me here:
Open an Administrator command prompt and make use of fsutil:
fsutil usn deletejournal /D <volume pathname>
fsutil usn createjournal m=<max-value> a=<alloc-delta> <volume pathname>
Eg :
fsutil usn deletejournal /D C:
fsutil usn createjournal m=1000 a=100 C:
After using these commands I was able to defragment C: without an error showing up in the event viewer. I'm not sure if this is a permanent or temporary fix, and someone mentioned in that thread that it didn't work with a server so YMMV.
47 additional answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2014-01-17T11:55:09+00:00 I also get all the time twice a day the same error in Windows Event Viewer. I have posted the question on superuser, they are a much better community: http://superuser.com/questions/699480/defragmentation-error-the-volume-c-was-not-optimized
-
Anonymous
2014-01-17T10:10:00+00:00 Same issue for me. I did a clean Windows 8 install on a brand new WD1003FZEX Black HDD, then updated to 8.1, and get this error event every time I try to defrag. Happens anytime I try to defrag the C drive (the recovery partition seems to defrag OK, though). I ran several processes to check the disk, but it always comes back in good health, so I really don't think it's the new HDD.
-
Anonymous
2013-12-31T15:58:13+00:00 Same here. Still erroring. I wonder when Microsoft will, if ever, get on the ball about actually fixing things that broke during their upgrade? Hey, there's always Linux!