optimize drives The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)

Anonymous
2013-07-21T15:58:57+00:00

cant optimize one of my storage drives. its starts of analyzing drive then just never actually does a defrag.

in event viewer im getting this error for the drive in question: "was not optimised because an error was encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)".

the drive passes error checking with no problems.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-04-01T17:24:55+00:00

This issue is officially corrected by Microsoft. Go here to get the Hotfix:HotFix for Event Log Error 257

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-02-10T19:48:47+00:00

I finally found a solution that worked for me here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6d782ade-f4de-43bf-8cea-647828b35757/strange-defrag-error-0x80070057?forum=winserverfiles

Open an Administrator command prompt and make use of fsutil:

fsutil usn deletejournal /D <volume pathname>

fsutil usn createjournal m=<max-value> a=<alloc-delta> <volume pathname>

Eg :

fsutil usn deletejournal /D C:

fsutil usn createjournal m=1000 a=100 C:

After using these commands I was able to defragment C: without an error showing up in the event viewer. I'm not sure if this is a permanent or temporary fix, and someone mentioned in that thread that it didn't work with a server so YMMV.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-02-07T02:40:25+00:00

    Error:  Volume X: was not optimized because an error encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)

    I get this error anytime Windows optimizes the drive either manually or automatically.  I emailed Microsoft directly, and they referred me to this Community.  I don't think they get it!!!

    No, they're really quite a useless bunch.  : /

    The issue is in the MFT (Master File Table).  For me, when I installed the Windows 8.1 upgrade, it corrupted the part of the MFT $Bitmap that held the number of free clusters available.  Granted, the filesystem still works, but the free clusters are in the negative.  Am I correct in guessing that your HDD was almost full at some point?

    You see, Microsoft can't even hold to their own specifications for NTFS partitions and the MFT parameters.  So, while it will work for some programs, it won't for others.  For example, you could resize the partition in the disk manager, but you couldn't defrag it which uses almost the same information to move data around.

    The real problem here is that Microsoft isn't taking the issues seriously and trying to fix it.  They've sent you to an unresolved forum for an issue which they have no intention of resolving (nor have resolved in the several years that it has existed).

    So, Microsoft, if you're looking at this, get up off your rear ends and fix the MFT issues that arise when the MFT is full, the HDD fills, and the number of free clusters becomes a negative number as a result.  2^|Negative Free Clusters|.  Or create a FixMFT program that will fix the corrupt entry since, now, both the MFT and the backup MFT have the same information that the defrag can't read properly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-06T21:58:18+00:00

    Error:  Volume X: was not optimized because an error encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)

    I get this error anytime Windows optimizes the drive either manually or automatically.  I emailed Microsoft directly, and they referred me to this Community.  I don't think they get it!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-27T07:00:27+00:00

    Kiran Jayakumar,

    I have identified the problem with defrag and other such programs that should work with the NTFS file system.  The problem occurs when the total free clusters listed by the MFT is a negative number such as when the cluster size is larger than the MFT file record size.  It would seem that the programmers did not account for this and include the 2^(negative cluster size) rule.  Instead, it errors and fails the defrag.

    This will need to be tested by your programmers as it is included in the NTFS specification and is most likely the cause of the errors.

    Sincerely,

    Erick Couts II

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments