optimize drives The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)

Anonymous
2013-07-21T15:58:57+00:00

cant optimize one of my storage drives. its starts of analyzing drive then just never actually does a defrag.

in event viewer im getting this error for the drive in question: "was not optimised because an error was encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)".

the drive passes error checking with no problems.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-04-01T17:24:55+00:00

This issue is officially corrected by Microsoft. Go here to get the Hotfix:HotFix for Event Log Error 257

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-02-10T19:48:47+00:00

I finally found a solution that worked for me here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6d782ade-f4de-43bf-8cea-647828b35757/strange-defrag-error-0x80070057?forum=winserverfiles

Open an Administrator command prompt and make use of fsutil:

fsutil usn deletejournal /D <volume pathname>

fsutil usn createjournal m=<max-value> a=<alloc-delta> <volume pathname>

Eg :

fsutil usn deletejournal /D C:

fsutil usn createjournal m=1000 a=100 C:

After using these commands I was able to defragment C: without an error showing up in the event viewer. I'm not sure if this is a permanent or temporary fix, and someone mentioned in that thread that it didn't work with a server so YMMV.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-02-11T07:35:28+00:00

    So I allthough had this Problem for a while and some People mentioned , a clean 8.1 install should do it. I don't know if this works for all other users, but for me it helped. For me it seems, that the Problem is in the MFT record, as ErickCouts II mentioned and that some Updates from 8 to 8.1 corrupt this.

    So i installed Windows once again from a Windows 8.1 CD, where i delete all Partitions in the Setup and created them again, and the Problem is gone. I will have an eye on it, if it will occur again.

    Greeting

    Sascha

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-11T06:00:40+00:00

    Well, my USN isn't showing any corruption at all.  So I don't think deleting and recreating it would have any effect to the positive.  It seems that there could be multiple causes for this error and the USN and MFT may just be a small handful.  I've attempted to resize the partition to see if it would rewrite anything useful to no avail.  Even though it resized alright, the problems still persist.

    I would recommend scanning with a demo of Zero Assumption Recovery to see if there are a large number of corrupt files on the drive.  It seems that something has randomly corrupted several files on this drive all over the place and there are no bad sectors what-so-ever.  I'm not sure what's happened, but I've scanned this drive with all sorts of anti-viruses, disk scanners, etc. and I can't find the cause of the corruption.  It's entirely random and this system is an always on system with a battery backup.  Whatever happened, it wasn't caused by a power outage or anything else of that nature.  The problem existed within Windows itself.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-02-11T01:40:44+00:00

    This is unbelievable that Microsoft treats its loyal users/clients in this manner; and they wonder why they are loosing market share?

    Since the only option I haven't yet tried is a reformat and reload of the OS (even though I am reading that this will not even work when upgrading to 8.1, so what's the point), I am going to give YadaYadaXL's solution a try.  I will report back to all.

    Thanks so much YadaYadaXL!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments