This issue is officially corrected by Microsoft. Go here to get the Hotfix:HotFix for Event Log Error 257
optimize drives The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)
cant optimize one of my storage drives. its starts of analyzing drive then just never actually does a defrag.
in event viewer im getting this error for the drive in question: "was not optimised because an error was encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)".
the drive passes error checking with no problems.
any help would be greatly appreciated
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I finally found a solution that worked for me here:
Open an Administrator command prompt and make use of fsutil:
fsutil usn deletejournal /D <volume pathname>
fsutil usn createjournal m=<max-value> a=<alloc-delta> <volume pathname>
Eg :
fsutil usn deletejournal /D C:
fsutil usn createjournal m=1000 a=100 C:
After using these commands I was able to defragment C: without an error showing up in the event viewer. I'm not sure if this is a permanent or temporary fix, and someone mentioned in that thread that it didn't work with a server so YMMV.
47 additional answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2013-10-30T01:14:15+00:00 Sorry, no suggestions, but I've got the same situation here 1:1.
-
Anonymous
2013-10-29T09:54:48+00:00 well i'm using a third party defrag now, works fine no errors :/
i formatted my drive just to test but microsoft defrag still comes up with this error.
-
Anonymous
2013-10-27T21:20:40+00:00 I get the same error in the Event Viewer:
The volume Windows (C:) was not optimized because an error was encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)
but I only have HDDs, no SSD. None of the solutions in this thread have worked for me. The error only pops up on my C: drive and CHKDSK and SMART tests don't show any problems. Anyone else have other suggestions?