optimize drives The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)

Anonymous
2013-07-21T15:58:57+00:00

cant optimize one of my storage drives. its starts of analyzing drive then just never actually does a defrag.

in event viewer im getting this error for the drive in question: "was not optimised because an error was encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)".

the drive passes error checking with no problems.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-04-01T17:24:55+00:00

This issue is officially corrected by Microsoft. Go here to get the Hotfix:HotFix for Event Log Error 257

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-02-10T19:48:47+00:00

I finally found a solution that worked for me here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6d782ade-f4de-43bf-8cea-647828b35757/strange-defrag-error-0x80070057?forum=winserverfiles

Open an Administrator command prompt and make use of fsutil:

fsutil usn deletejournal /D <volume pathname>

fsutil usn createjournal m=<max-value> a=<alloc-delta> <volume pathname>

Eg :

fsutil usn deletejournal /D C:

fsutil usn createjournal m=1000 a=100 C:

After using these commands I was able to defragment C: without an error showing up in the event viewer. I'm not sure if this is a permanent or temporary fix, and someone mentioned in that thread that it didn't work with a server so YMMV.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-06-30T05:33:04+00:00

    Both my laptop and desktop do this on the system reserved partition. SSD on desktop. HDD on laptop.

    Hotfix says not applicable to my PC.

    I just disabled auto optimise.

    I still get the "needs optimisation" "but confused as to how" in the defrag window.

    Surely am I doing something wrong Microsoft wouldn't let a bug that has made 6 pages of Google search run for this long with all the staff and resources they have?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-06T14:25:42+00:00

    Do it manually.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments