The Task bar is missing on Windows 8

Anonymous
2013-02-09T15:56:41+00:00

Old Title: where the heck is the task bar?

I just want the task/tool bar to show on top of my screen,, any way to do that?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-10T09:45:23+00:00

Hi L Jensen,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community Forums. We are here to assist you with your Windows related issues.

It seems that you have recently installed Windows 8 and you are unable to find the taskbar on your computer. I would like to have some information regarding this issue.

1.       Are you referring to the taskbar on the desktop interface on Windows 8?

2.       Have you made any recent changes on the computer prior to this issue?

If you are referring to the Modern User Interface, then I am sorry to inform you that we do not have any options to display the taskbar in the Modern User Interface of Windows 8 and it is by the new Windows 8 design.

However, if you are referring to the desktop interface, then the reason why the taskbar is not shown on the screen may be because the taskbar is set to automatically hide or it might be some issues with the “explorer.exe” service or it might be stopped manually.

Method 1: Disable the Auto-hide feature of the Taskbar.

If the task bar appears on the desktop interface, when you move the mouse pointer towards the bottom of the screen, then the auto-hide option of the taskbar might have enabled on the computer.

To disable this option follow these instructions and check the issue:

a)       Right click on the taskbar from the Desktop Interface of Windows 8.

b)        Select “Properties” to open the “Taskbar Properties” window.

c)       On the “Taskbar Properties” window and under the “Taskbar” tab, uncheck the second option which says “Auto-hide the Taskbar”.

You will also have the option to change the position of the taskbar on the same window. You can change it to top,  left or right.

Check if you are able to view the taskbar. If it is not visible at all from the desktop interface, then there might be some issues with the explorer.exe or its service might be stopped manually.

To start the “explorer.exe” service on the computer, try the next method:

Method 2: Check the “Explorer.exe” service and start it if it is “Stopped”.

a)       Press “Alt” + “Ctrl” + “Del” keys on the keyboard and select “Task Manager” to open it.

b)       On the “Task Manager” window, click on “File” menu and select “Create a new task”.

c)       Type “explorer.exe” in the “Open” box.

d)       Click on “OK” and check if you are able to find the taskbar now.

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to get back to us for any further queries or issues related to Windows.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-20T20:09:44+00:00

    My taskbar has disapeared also

    I guess I updated unwittingly to windows 8.1 update and now I have no taskbar.

    I changed resolution to 1024X720 so my screen is smaller than my display. It's not there.

    when i reach the bottom of my screen I see a resize option but I can't "pull" it out of its hiding.

    I have NO TASKBAR AT ALL

    when i select auto-hide i can no longer "resize" the disapeared taskbar bellow.

    I need my taskbar

    help

    pressing Ctrl-Esc is same as windows button, jumps to the demon apps window.

    HELP PLEASE

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-20T23:38:58+00:00

    My taskbar has disapeared also

    Have you read this whole thread?  It has the answers you need (though maybe they haven't been voted or marked as such.)

    when i reach the bottom of my screen I see a resize option but I can't "pull" it out of its hiding.

    Try using keyboard commands to do that.  Win-T.  Gets you to the first Taskbar button.  (OK. So I guess we have to assume that much.  <eg>).   Then, we have to get to the Taskbar's Alt-Space menu...  Esc, Ctrl-Backtab, Alt-Space.  Oops.  Small detour (unless you have already unlocked your Taskbar <w>)...  Where are we?  Let's start over...  Win-T, Esc, Ctrl-Tab, Menu r (or Shift-F10, CursorUp Properties), L  (Uncheck Lock the Taskbar), Enter.  Now go back to what I was trying to start with.  Win-T, Esc, Ctrl-Backtab, Alt-Space.  Now,  your choice:  Move or Size?  Adjust as desired.

    Actually you don't need to do the Unlock using the Taskbar.  You could use Search Settings (Win-w) Taskbar lock to get there instead. 

    FYI

    Robert Aldwinckle


    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-28T20:58:06+00:00

    Old Title: where the heck is the task bar?

    I just want the task/tool bar to show on top of my screen,, any way to do that?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-29T03:39:46+00:00

    I eventually resolved this thanks to two comments.  One was to check task manager and kill store broker which was hogging resource.  The other was t be a bit more patient when logging on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments