The Task bar is missing on Windows 8

Anonymous
2013-02-09T15:56:41+00:00

Old Title: where the heck is the task bar?

I just want the task/tool bar to show on top of my screen,, any way to do that?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-10T09:45:23+00:00

Hi L Jensen,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community Forums. We are here to assist you with your Windows related issues.

It seems that you have recently installed Windows 8 and you are unable to find the taskbar on your computer. I would like to have some information regarding this issue.

1.       Are you referring to the taskbar on the desktop interface on Windows 8?

2.       Have you made any recent changes on the computer prior to this issue?

If you are referring to the Modern User Interface, then I am sorry to inform you that we do not have any options to display the taskbar in the Modern User Interface of Windows 8 and it is by the new Windows 8 design.

However, if you are referring to the desktop interface, then the reason why the taskbar is not shown on the screen may be because the taskbar is set to automatically hide or it might be some issues with the “explorer.exe” service or it might be stopped manually.

Method 1: Disable the Auto-hide feature of the Taskbar.

If the task bar appears on the desktop interface, when you move the mouse pointer towards the bottom of the screen, then the auto-hide option of the taskbar might have enabled on the computer.

To disable this option follow these instructions and check the issue:

a)       Right click on the taskbar from the Desktop Interface of Windows 8.

b)        Select “Properties” to open the “Taskbar Properties” window.

c)       On the “Taskbar Properties” window and under the “Taskbar” tab, uncheck the second option which says “Auto-hide the Taskbar”.

You will also have the option to change the position of the taskbar on the same window. You can change it to top,  left or right.

Check if you are able to view the taskbar. If it is not visible at all from the desktop interface, then there might be some issues with the explorer.exe or its service might be stopped manually.

To start the “explorer.exe” service on the computer, try the next method:

Method 2: Check the “Explorer.exe” service and start it if it is “Stopped”.

a)       Press “Alt” + “Ctrl” + “Del” keys on the keyboard and select “Task Manager” to open it.

b)       On the “Task Manager” window, click on “File” menu and select “Create a new task”.

c)       Type “explorer.exe” in the “Open” box.

d)       Click on “OK” and check if you are able to find the taskbar now.

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to get back to us for any further queries or issues related to Windows.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-01-29T22:30:43+00:00

    Hi.

    I am having the same problem as you which caused me to Google and find this thread. I have a dual display set-up on my PC and on one display I usually have a game running and on the other I will have the Netflix app running. On the monitor with Netflix I have the main taskbar (with the clock). I had Netflix minimised for a minute to check some emails and when I restored the window, both screens went black for a few seconds and when things reappeared, I noticed that my main task bar had disappeared. No amount of tinkering would correct the problem. I tried disabling the secondary monitor, but as you said in your post above, the missing taskbar traded places to the other monitor.

    I did find a solution to this that doesn't involve restarting. If you open up the task manager and select the details tab, you can then scroll down until you find explorer.exe. Right click and click on end task. You will notice everything disappear (task bar, desktop icons, desktop backround). All that should remain are any windows you had open. I then went into the task manager again and opened explorer.exe by clicking on File and then Run New Task, and typing in explorer.exe. Everything should come back to life (missing task bar and all).

    It is a frustrating problem. I have suffered it several times and had to reboot my machine. It has only been today that I discovered this easier solution. I hope it works for you and you find it helpful but I very much agree Microsoft need to be more swift when it comes to fixing these bugs, especially now that so many of us are using multiple displays (where a bulk of the bugs are popping up).

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-05-02T02:21:03+00:00

    I have the same problem with the taskbar being missing on the desktop interface.

    Looks like you should give up on the Auto-Hide option for the Taskbar--unless you have a keyboard or a mouse.   So,  Search Settings for Taskbar, choose the one which says Auto-hide and uncheck the option.   FWIW I did all of that easily using only my pen.

    So, assuming that you want to continue using Taskbar Auto-hide for whatever reason and you don't have a keyboard or a mouse, it is definitely awkward to do it using only Touch or a pen.   One way is to use the "standard" Touch Keyboard started from the Settings charm then "tap"  Win-D, Tab.

    Alternatively, just forget about using the Taskbar completely and use Task Manager instead.   You could even pin a shortcut for it to your Start Screen.

    FYI

    Robert Aldwinckle


    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-05-01T21:01:17+00:00

    I have the same problem with the taskbar being missing on the desktop interface.  It's very difficult to see what is open and what is not open and I keep trying to open files that are already open.  This new Windows 8 might be good for kids playing games but it is not as good as Windows 7 or XP for business applications.

    Rosemary

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-03-29T06:55:05+00:00

    how do i bring up the taskbar by touch if i have configure it to auto-hide?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments