Windows Movie Maker Error- Not enough memory

Anonymous
2013-01-20T07:29:26+00:00

Whenever I try to save one of my movies a little bit into the save process it stops and says I do not have enough memory try again with a lower resolution. I've tried every resolution and bit rate and it still doesnt work. I am almost positive its not my computer hardware. I have a 3rd Gen i7 (1.9GHz), 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD (90 GB Free), and Intel HD 4000 Graphics. The movie when saved should be no more than 200 MB so i don't know what the problem is. If I can use a full Autodesk/AutoCAD suite to make parts and do 3D renderings, im sure my computer should be able to handle a slideshow of stills.

Original title: Windows Movie Maker Error- Not enough disk space

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-10-20T20:10:27+00:00

Error:

Movie Maker

There isn’t enough memory available to save this file. Try saving it at a lower resolution.

I am using Movie Maker 2012 with Windows 7 Professional on an HP Pavilion dv6 notebook with 4 gigs of memory and an Intel Q720 processor at 1.6 Ghz.

My videos are .MOV files from a Canon PowerShot SX260 HS camera.

This error has occurred several times on several projects. The projects are saved and the error is replicable each time I tried to save the move in High Resolution (HD: 1920x1080). The error occurs at the same percentage on the progress bar, upon replication of the problem. Increasing the size of the Windows swap file makes no difference. While the movie is being rendered (before the error occurs) Task Manager shows CPU use at 80%+ and the memory use increases nearly linearly with time until 4 gigs are used. Then the memory use stays at 4 gigs, the CPU drops to near 0, and after a few minutes the error appears. The movies can be saved successfully at “Computer” resolution (854x480) and the memory use never went above 1.55 GB.

I can repeat the error with a single .MOV video of length 47 seconds. I saved the project with just this single video. The error is replicable with this long video at 26% complete. I then split that video, without shortening the total video, using the Split edit command. The movie can now be saved. To clarify, I did not shorten or edit the video, except to add a split at the 21 second point.  The movie renders successfully from this split video, and the memory use never went above 1.55 GB.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-27T18:18:52+00:00

    Another diagnostic step is to figure out where it fails.  For example, if it gets to about 65% and then fails, I would look at a file around the 65% mark.  It might be a song that it isn't liking.  Or it could be that it just doesn't like dealing with that many high-res photos.

    If you think it is just having problems with the complexity of the project, try splitting the project into two.  To do this, make two copies of your original project (keep the original as a backup).  In one copy, keep the first half and delete the rest.  Save that project copy and also try saving as a movie.  If that saves, then you are halfway there.  Open up the second project copy, delete what is already saved in part 1.  Again save that project and try saving as a movie.  If it goes well, you should have two movies for part 1 and part 2.

    To join the parts together, open a new project, import the two video clips (part 1 and part 2) and save as a final combined movie.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-22T22:37:02+00:00

    i have recently got this same problem and i still dont have a clue on how to fix it. i have tried everything but i still have the same problem.. please help?

    i have looked it up and some people have said that i may need to delete some pictures to make some more room but i dont really want to do that so i need a solution.   thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-23T03:47:29+00:00

    Hi,

    Sorry for not responding on your issue on a timely manner. I'll be glad to assist you with your issue that you are having the same issue as like what others on this thread is experiencing. For us to isolate your issue further kindly provide us the following information:

    -What is the version of your Windows Movie Maker?

    -What are the files types you are using?

    -What are the exact steps you did before issue occurs?

    -Collect Log files

    To collect log files follow the steps on this link. Kindly provide it on the private message I created. Please click on You have a private reply to this message link just above your post to view the message. Don't forget to sign in to Microsoft Community Forum to view the link.

    Your cooperation on this matter will be highly appreciated. I'll look forward to your reply.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-08-21T21:53:49+00:00

    I LOSE SOME DAYS TO TRY FIX THIS ERROR AND NOTHING HELPFULL BUT LOOK HOW I FINALLY MAKE IT WORKS,  THIS CAN HELP OTHER PEOPLE WITH THE SAME UGLY ERROR . I TRY TO MAKE A VIDEO WITH 264 PHOTOS , BUT NOT WORK , SO I START TO MAKE 5 VIDEOS SEPARATELY ONE BY EACH OTHER WITH 50 PHOTOS OR MORE , AFTER THAT I PUT THEM TOGETHER . AFTER I PUT THE MUSIC AND ANIMATIONS I WANT . HOPE BE HELPFULL .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments