Windows Movie Maker Error- Not enough memory

Anonymous
2013-01-20T07:29:26+00:00

Whenever I try to save one of my movies a little bit into the save process it stops and says I do not have enough memory try again with a lower resolution. I've tried every resolution and bit rate and it still doesnt work. I am almost positive its not my computer hardware. I have a 3rd Gen i7 (1.9GHz), 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD (90 GB Free), and Intel HD 4000 Graphics. The movie when saved should be no more than 200 MB so i don't know what the problem is. If I can use a full Autodesk/AutoCAD suite to make parts and do 3D renderings, im sure my computer should be able to handle a slideshow of stills.

Original title: Windows Movie Maker Error- Not enough disk space

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-10-20T20:10:27+00:00

Error:

Movie Maker

There isn’t enough memory available to save this file. Try saving it at a lower resolution.

I am using Movie Maker 2012 with Windows 7 Professional on an HP Pavilion dv6 notebook with 4 gigs of memory and an Intel Q720 processor at 1.6 Ghz.

My videos are .MOV files from a Canon PowerShot SX260 HS camera.

This error has occurred several times on several projects. The projects are saved and the error is replicable each time I tried to save the move in High Resolution (HD: 1920x1080). The error occurs at the same percentage on the progress bar, upon replication of the problem. Increasing the size of the Windows swap file makes no difference. While the movie is being rendered (before the error occurs) Task Manager shows CPU use at 80%+ and the memory use increases nearly linearly with time until 4 gigs are used. Then the memory use stays at 4 gigs, the CPU drops to near 0, and after a few minutes the error appears. The movies can be saved successfully at “Computer” resolution (854x480) and the memory use never went above 1.55 GB.

I can repeat the error with a single .MOV video of length 47 seconds. I saved the project with just this single video. The error is replicable with this long video at 26% complete. I then split that video, without shortening the total video, using the Split edit command. The movie can now be saved. To clarify, I did not shorten or edit the video, except to add a split at the 21 second point.  The movie renders successfully from this split video, and the memory use never went above 1.55 GB.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-11T01:48:53+00:00

    SandyMahoney, I feel for you having gone through the same problem.  My project was 37 min and I was able to save it in three separate projects and then put them back together in DVD Maker.  Have you tried saving your project in smaller pieces?  This is just a suggestion to hopefully rescue all the work you have done.  I do not recommend this software and suggest you find a different software for future projects.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-11T03:09:02+00:00

    I did have to make it into 2 videos.  However, DVD Maker doesn't allow you put them together into one "movie".   My project is 40 minutes and isn't easily broken into 2.  I wanted to keep the season in one full length movie.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-12T02:32:30+00:00

    DVD maker was able to add all three of my Moviemaker files into one DVD movie.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-27T15:31:08+00:00

    I Have had this problem also and its very frustrating especially as it takes hours before you get this message and I have tried several times/different setting to save the file.  I use this program several times a year for some amateur photography projects and always use the same MP3 audio files and only use Jpeg image files and only started getting this error message this month.

    I managed to get it to work but not sure what exactly fixed the problem and not sure if it will still happen again.  This is what I done.

    1. I updated Movie maker - well re-downloaded the program and it updated.
    2. I moved all my MP3 audio files into the same location
    3. I disabled windows desktop scheme to windows basic as I noticed I kept getting a message        saying desktop scheme was consuming too much memory.

    I noticed when the file actually saved the file size was a lot smaller than my other projects though so not sure if the quality is the same.  I used 'Recommended for this project' setting and it still took 20 hours!

    My video is a slideshow of about 130 High res images with 3 MP3 audio files. The same amount/size of images I always use and same audio tracks I always use and it seemed to take longer and the file was a lot smaller?

    If its not Movie maker that doesnt work its windows DVD maker!

    When these dont work it robs so much of your time!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments