Windows Movie Maker Error- Not enough memory

Anonymous
2013-01-20T07:29:26+00:00

Whenever I try to save one of my movies a little bit into the save process it stops and says I do not have enough memory try again with a lower resolution. I've tried every resolution and bit rate and it still doesnt work. I am almost positive its not my computer hardware. I have a 3rd Gen i7 (1.9GHz), 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD (90 GB Free), and Intel HD 4000 Graphics. The movie when saved should be no more than 200 MB so i don't know what the problem is. If I can use a full Autodesk/AutoCAD suite to make parts and do 3D renderings, im sure my computer should be able to handle a slideshow of stills.

Original title: Windows Movie Maker Error- Not enough disk space

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-10-20T20:10:27+00:00

Error:

Movie Maker

There isn’t enough memory available to save this file. Try saving it at a lower resolution.

I am using Movie Maker 2012 with Windows 7 Professional on an HP Pavilion dv6 notebook with 4 gigs of memory and an Intel Q720 processor at 1.6 Ghz.

My videos are .MOV files from a Canon PowerShot SX260 HS camera.

This error has occurred several times on several projects. The projects are saved and the error is replicable each time I tried to save the move in High Resolution (HD: 1920x1080). The error occurs at the same percentage on the progress bar, upon replication of the problem. Increasing the size of the Windows swap file makes no difference. While the movie is being rendered (before the error occurs) Task Manager shows CPU use at 80%+ and the memory use increases nearly linearly with time until 4 gigs are used. Then the memory use stays at 4 gigs, the CPU drops to near 0, and after a few minutes the error appears. The movies can be saved successfully at “Computer” resolution (854x480) and the memory use never went above 1.55 GB.

I can repeat the error with a single .MOV video of length 47 seconds. I saved the project with just this single video. The error is replicable with this long video at 26% complete. I then split that video, without shortening the total video, using the Split edit command. The movie can now be saved. To clarify, I did not shorten or edit the video, except to add a split at the 21 second point.  The movie renders successfully from this split video, and the memory use never went above 1.55 GB.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-06-20T18:06:55+00:00

    I've never had a problem before, but since the update to Windows Live Essentials, I cannot use Movie Maker.  I get an error message saying I don't have enough memory.  But I have plenty of memory and are using the same kind of movie file I've always used.  It's something wrong on the Microsoft end.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-06-21T02:14:02+00:00

    Hello marlowharris,

    Welcome to Microsoft Community Forum. I understand that you're having the same issue as the first poster about not having enough memory. I will assist you on your inquiry.

    Within this issue, there can be multiple factors that can contribute to this issue. It is either:

    • The latest version of Movie Maker is not fully compatible on your computer
    • Insufficient codecs or outdated video card driver

    Please follow the steps provided by moderator Francis_S on January 22, 2013 for initial troubleshooting purposes. In case the issue persist, please follow this workaround. Close Movie Maker, then open it without opening your vides/photos. On the lower right side of the screen, you'll see a slidebar. Zoom in the slider up until it is maxed out, then, load your files. You need to keep the slider maxed out in Zoom in then try to save the video file.

    Let us know the results afterwards.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-07-09T18:03:32+00:00

    Thanks to everyone for all your input.  I have one simple question: Is there a dump somewhere (WIndows 8) that would show specifically what throws this error? everything I read on this topic is that maybe it's this or it could be that, etc. These are not terms that make the situation better. Any info on error logs and the steps needed to view and interpret them would be gratly sappreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-07-09T18:56:15+00:00

    Hi preizler,

    Thanks for participating. Yes, you can create dump on Windows 8 by reproducing the issue on Movie Maker and once you received the error, follow these steps to create the dump file:

    1. Press Windows button.
    2. On your Start screen, type Task Manager and press Enter.
    3. Right-click Movie Maker and select Create dump file.
    4. Wait until the process is done and you will be given the path where the dump file was saved.

    For the log files, it would be best if our support specialist do that part. If you want, you can send us log files of your Movie Maker for interpretation. For the instructions, kindly refer to my private message. You need to sign in to Microsoft Community to see Private Messages button in line with All Replies.

    Regards,

    Richard

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments