Windows Movie Maker Error- Not enough memory

Anonymous
2013-01-20T07:29:26+00:00

Whenever I try to save one of my movies a little bit into the save process it stops and says I do not have enough memory try again with a lower resolution. I've tried every resolution and bit rate and it still doesnt work. I am almost positive its not my computer hardware. I have a 3rd Gen i7 (1.9GHz), 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD (90 GB Free), and Intel HD 4000 Graphics. The movie when saved should be no more than 200 MB so i don't know what the problem is. If I can use a full Autodesk/AutoCAD suite to make parts and do 3D renderings, im sure my computer should be able to handle a slideshow of stills.

Original title: Windows Movie Maker Error- Not enough disk space

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-10-20T20:10:27+00:00

Error:

Movie Maker

There isn’t enough memory available to save this file. Try saving it at a lower resolution.

I am using Movie Maker 2012 with Windows 7 Professional on an HP Pavilion dv6 notebook with 4 gigs of memory and an Intel Q720 processor at 1.6 Ghz.

My videos are .MOV files from a Canon PowerShot SX260 HS camera.

This error has occurred several times on several projects. The projects are saved and the error is replicable each time I tried to save the move in High Resolution (HD: 1920x1080). The error occurs at the same percentage on the progress bar, upon replication of the problem. Increasing the size of the Windows swap file makes no difference. While the movie is being rendered (before the error occurs) Task Manager shows CPU use at 80%+ and the memory use increases nearly linearly with time until 4 gigs are used. Then the memory use stays at 4 gigs, the CPU drops to near 0, and after a few minutes the error appears. The movies can be saved successfully at “Computer” resolution (854x480) and the memory use never went above 1.55 GB.

I can repeat the error with a single .MOV video of length 47 seconds. I saved the project with just this single video. The error is replicable with this long video at 26% complete. I then split that video, without shortening the total video, using the Split edit command. The movie can now be saved. To clarify, I did not shorten or edit the video, except to add a split at the 21 second point.  The movie renders successfully from this split video, and the memory use never went above 1.55 GB.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-27T03:41:28+00:00

    Hi Everyone, it seems like I'm not the only person having this issue and there are a number of people at work experiencing the same problem also.

    I am trying to create an animation of a 3D model from .jpg files exported from the modelling software. The movie only runs for approximately 1 minute at 20 fps.

    The workaround that eventually worked for me was to stitch images together in batches of 200 into mp4 format, this left me with 6 mp4 files which I then stitched together in movie maker to form the complete movie. The final file size is 42.6 Mb.

    I know this certainly isn't a solution and is certainly takes up a lot of time, but hopefully it's a workaround that can help people push out those urgent projects.

    ***EDIT***

    I should also state that my movie contains no music, just the image captures stitched together.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-04-22T22:03:43+00:00

    Hello all!

    I found the workaround finally~

    need to save file into OneDrive. 

    No any errors at all

    good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-04-23T00:47:02+00:00

    Movie Maker is intended to be used for putting together photos and videos into a movie. When photos are used, the expected use is in a slideshow type movie where a photo is displayed for a few seconds.

    While it should be possible to get each image to display for a fraction of a second (e.g. 1/30 second to get 30 fps), that seems to overwhelm Movie Maker.

    Whenever I need to deal with timelapse sequences (or computer renderings), I use other software for turning the image sequence into a video. And then I do any further video editing in Movie Maker. One common solution I've seen, for those that use Google Picasa for organizing their photos, is to select the photos in there and use the "Create Movie" option. One of the choices is a timelapse output. There are other tools too, so feel free to look around for what works best for you.

    But again, I'm sorry that Movie Maker is getting overwhelmed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-04-24T19:12:11+00:00

    I think no one works on MovieMaker now ...

    I found more problems and it looks like developers of this app do not want to make it workable and make it best in the line of similar products ... (for example when it produces final movie in added sound can be heard some crackle). 

    I can ground up my point of view: the first problem was reported 3 years ago and since then it is not resolved.

    The SonyVegas application costs 600$ per one licence.

    All other similar applications also takes 70$ and more dollars.

    I am a developer as well and I would be fired if I would produce such a software - it would not bring the profit :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments