Windows Movie Maker Error- Not enough memory

Anonymous
2013-01-20T07:29:26+00:00

Whenever I try to save one of my movies a little bit into the save process it stops and says I do not have enough memory try again with a lower resolution. I've tried every resolution and bit rate and it still doesnt work. I am almost positive its not my computer hardware. I have a 3rd Gen i7 (1.9GHz), 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD (90 GB Free), and Intel HD 4000 Graphics. The movie when saved should be no more than 200 MB so i don't know what the problem is. If I can use a full Autodesk/AutoCAD suite to make parts and do 3D renderings, im sure my computer should be able to handle a slideshow of stills.

Original title: Windows Movie Maker Error- Not enough disk space

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-10-20T20:10:27+00:00

Error:

Movie Maker

There isn’t enough memory available to save this file. Try saving it at a lower resolution.

I am using Movie Maker 2012 with Windows 7 Professional on an HP Pavilion dv6 notebook with 4 gigs of memory and an Intel Q720 processor at 1.6 Ghz.

My videos are .MOV files from a Canon PowerShot SX260 HS camera.

This error has occurred several times on several projects. The projects are saved and the error is replicable each time I tried to save the move in High Resolution (HD: 1920x1080). The error occurs at the same percentage on the progress bar, upon replication of the problem. Increasing the size of the Windows swap file makes no difference. While the movie is being rendered (before the error occurs) Task Manager shows CPU use at 80%+ and the memory use increases nearly linearly with time until 4 gigs are used. Then the memory use stays at 4 gigs, the CPU drops to near 0, and after a few minutes the error appears. The movies can be saved successfully at “Computer” resolution (854x480) and the memory use never went above 1.55 GB.

I can repeat the error with a single .MOV video of length 47 seconds. I saved the project with just this single video. The error is replicable with this long video at 26% complete. I then split that video, without shortening the total video, using the Split edit command. The movie can now be saved. To clarify, I did not shorten or edit the video, except to add a split at the 21 second point.  The movie renders successfully from this split video, and the memory use never went above 1.55 GB.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-07T04:12:08+00:00

    Hello,

    Thank you for posting back. I have re-escalated this so that our support specialist could check this issue further. We'll keep you posted on the progress of your concern.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-07T03:42:27+00:00

    I have successfully saved three smaller files up to 17 min.  It is currently stalled on "Step 2 of 2 42% complete" for the 20 min file.  Please reply with an option smarter than saving my project on three separate projects.  Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-06T03:21:45+00:00

    Hello,

    Thank you for the information. You've answered you did not try saving high resolutions with smaller files. We advice that you recreate this scenario for us to further troubleshoot your concern.

    We'll wait for your response.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-06T02:25:46+00:00
    1. Not enough memory, try saving with reduced resolution
    2. Can't be a memory problem, I am using a brand new computer; I strongly suspect it is the latest version of Movie Maker that is the problem. Also, to clarify, I can save the file as a Movie Maker project, but cannot save movie for computer or for high definition display.  I also cannot add the movie maker file through DVD Maker. My goal is to get the movie on a DVD.
    3. Movie Maker file is 784 kB; there are 871 items, majority are jpg photos, there are two videos, WMD format, one is 1.07 min and another about 25 sec.  Average size of each jpeg is about 3 MB.  The length of the movie is 37:07:03.  There are 12 songs in M4A format, 5 - 11.5 MB each.
    4. See 3.
    5. I have not tried saving to computer or high resolution with smaller files.  I used previous version of Movie Maker on my old computer and never had a problem making a video file for a DVD or playback on the computer. The largest project I saved with the old version was 1:14:00. Something has changed with this version. I did change the two videos from MP4 to wmv but this didn't help.
    6. I have saved the project on an external hard drive with 652 GB of free space and tried to " save   Movie for computer" on both the external hard drive and new computer. Also tried "save movie for high resolution" and no success.  Then I tried to use my husband's computer with the latest Movie Maker software and it didn't work.  I even went back to my old computer praying that the old version would open the new version project.  It didn't.
    7. See 6.

    By the way the error message is quite frustrating as I do not see an option to save at a reduced resolution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments