Windows Movie Maker Error- Not enough memory

Anonymous
2013-01-20T07:29:26+00:00

Whenever I try to save one of my movies a little bit into the save process it stops and says I do not have enough memory try again with a lower resolution. I've tried every resolution and bit rate and it still doesnt work. I am almost positive its not my computer hardware. I have a 3rd Gen i7 (1.9GHz), 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD (90 GB Free), and Intel HD 4000 Graphics. The movie when saved should be no more than 200 MB so i don't know what the problem is. If I can use a full Autodesk/AutoCAD suite to make parts and do 3D renderings, im sure my computer should be able to handle a slideshow of stills.

Original title: Windows Movie Maker Error- Not enough disk space

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-10-20T20:10:27+00:00

Error:

Movie Maker

There isn’t enough memory available to save this file. Try saving it at a lower resolution.

I am using Movie Maker 2012 with Windows 7 Professional on an HP Pavilion dv6 notebook with 4 gigs of memory and an Intel Q720 processor at 1.6 Ghz.

My videos are .MOV files from a Canon PowerShot SX260 HS camera.

This error has occurred several times on several projects. The projects are saved and the error is replicable each time I tried to save the move in High Resolution (HD: 1920x1080). The error occurs at the same percentage on the progress bar, upon replication of the problem. Increasing the size of the Windows swap file makes no difference. While the movie is being rendered (before the error occurs) Task Manager shows CPU use at 80%+ and the memory use increases nearly linearly with time until 4 gigs are used. Then the memory use stays at 4 gigs, the CPU drops to near 0, and after a few minutes the error appears. The movies can be saved successfully at “Computer” resolution (854x480) and the memory use never went above 1.55 GB.

I can repeat the error with a single .MOV video of length 47 seconds. I saved the project with just this single video. The error is replicable with this long video at 26% complete. I then split that video, without shortening the total video, using the Split edit command. The movie can now be saved. To clarify, I did not shorten or edit the video, except to add a split at the 21 second point.  The movie renders successfully from this split video, and the memory use never went above 1.55 GB.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-10T16:17:43+00:00

    @SandyMahoney,

    Are your symptoms the same?  My theory is some file within the project is causing problems.  One way to diagnose this is to make a copy of the project file (.wlmp).  Work in just the copy so that you still have the original.  The easiest way to make a copy is to use File > Save project as, or to copy in Windows Explorer.

    In the copy of the project, start by removing all your music.  See if you are able to save. If so, undo those changes and try removing your music one by one until you can determine the culprit.  Sometimes .mp3 files can cause this issue, so consider converting a problem music file to .wma or .wav format instead.

    If removing the music has no effect, try removing video starting at the end of the project.  Keep deleting small amounts of video clips, then seeing if you can save.  If so, look for the problem video and convert it to .wmv format.

    If you are able to perhaps save the project once you have pared it down to half, I'd save that part of the movie and the project.  Start again with another fresh copy of the original file.  Now remove the portion of the project you have already saved and repeat the diagnostic steps.  Perhaps you can get the movie to save in several parts. 

    If you can save it in parts, you can start one new project, add the saved movies into the storyboard area and then save one final copy of everything joined together.

    If none of that helps, another thing to check is that your video graphics driver is up-to-date.  You probably have onboard Intel HD Graphics, so start by going to the Intel website and running their driver update utility.  See if that helps.  If you have discrete graphics, try going to the AMD or NVIDIA sites and doing the same.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-10T15:59:42+00:00

    I've tried all of the solutions.  I just purchased this computer in September, so I know everything is up to date, plus, I went through and made sure it was.  I even reloaded movie maker software.  I'm on a deadline and cannot get this to work.  Can I speak to a human TODAY, December 10, 2013 before noon eastern time?  I need this help ASAP!!  This video is due by the end of today.  I didn't have this issue on my old computer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-10T15:53:27+00:00

    AMEN!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-12T04:02:22+00:00

    Hello,

    Our support specialist would like you to try and save the movie using another Windows User account that has admin privileges or another computer to see if you'd encounter the same issue.

    You can refer to this **link**on how to create a new user account.

    Let us know the results after.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments