Windows Movie Maker Error- Not enough memory

Anonymous
2013-01-20T07:29:26+00:00

Whenever I try to save one of my movies a little bit into the save process it stops and says I do not have enough memory try again with a lower resolution. I've tried every resolution and bit rate and it still doesnt work. I am almost positive its not my computer hardware. I have a 3rd Gen i7 (1.9GHz), 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD (90 GB Free), and Intel HD 4000 Graphics. The movie when saved should be no more than 200 MB so i don't know what the problem is. If I can use a full Autodesk/AutoCAD suite to make parts and do 3D renderings, im sure my computer should be able to handle a slideshow of stills.

Original title: Windows Movie Maker Error- Not enough disk space

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-10-20T20:10:27+00:00

Error:

Movie Maker

There isn’t enough memory available to save this file. Try saving it at a lower resolution.

I am using Movie Maker 2012 with Windows 7 Professional on an HP Pavilion dv6 notebook with 4 gigs of memory and an Intel Q720 processor at 1.6 Ghz.

My videos are .MOV files from a Canon PowerShot SX260 HS camera.

This error has occurred several times on several projects. The projects are saved and the error is replicable each time I tried to save the move in High Resolution (HD: 1920x1080). The error occurs at the same percentage on the progress bar, upon replication of the problem. Increasing the size of the Windows swap file makes no difference. While the movie is being rendered (before the error occurs) Task Manager shows CPU use at 80%+ and the memory use increases nearly linearly with time until 4 gigs are used. Then the memory use stays at 4 gigs, the CPU drops to near 0, and after a few minutes the error appears. The movies can be saved successfully at “Computer” resolution (854x480) and the memory use never went above 1.55 GB.

I can repeat the error with a single .MOV video of length 47 seconds. I saved the project with just this single video. The error is replicable with this long video at 26% complete. I then split that video, without shortening the total video, using the Split edit command. The movie can now be saved. To clarify, I did not shorten or edit the video, except to add a split at the 21 second point.  The movie renders successfully from this split video, and the memory use never went above 1.55 GB.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-05T18:39:42+00:00

    Hello,

    Thank you for waiting. Our support specialists would like to gather more information regarding your concern. Answering these questions will help us isolate the issue:

    • What is the exact error message you are receiving?
    • Does the error disk space or computer memory related?
    • What are the sizes of the files you used on the movie?
    • What are the file types used on the movie?
    • Are you having issues saving when using few photos or small videos only?
    • Where are you trying to save the file?
    • Does the issue happen when saving on another location?

    We'll wait for your response.

    Regards,

    Richard

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-05T05:03:55+00:00

    Hello,

    Thank you for providing the Application event logs. I have now escalated your issue to our support specialist for further investigation. Please check this post for updates from time to time.

    Your patience is highly appreciated.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-05T02:13:54+00:00

    Missing file sent.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-04T06:57:27+00:00

    Hello,

    Thank you for gathering the other log files. I have replied to you in the private message area. Please check it then reply here once you have uploaded the requested logs.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments