Windows Movie Maker Error- Not enough memory

Anonymous
2013-01-20T07:29:26+00:00

Whenever I try to save one of my movies a little bit into the save process it stops and says I do not have enough memory try again with a lower resolution. I've tried every resolution and bit rate and it still doesnt work. I am almost positive its not my computer hardware. I have a 3rd Gen i7 (1.9GHz), 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD (90 GB Free), and Intel HD 4000 Graphics. The movie when saved should be no more than 200 MB so i don't know what the problem is. If I can use a full Autodesk/AutoCAD suite to make parts and do 3D renderings, im sure my computer should be able to handle a slideshow of stills.

Original title: Windows Movie Maker Error- Not enough disk space

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-10-20T20:10:27+00:00

Error:

Movie Maker

There isn’t enough memory available to save this file. Try saving it at a lower resolution.

I am using Movie Maker 2012 with Windows 7 Professional on an HP Pavilion dv6 notebook with 4 gigs of memory and an Intel Q720 processor at 1.6 Ghz.

My videos are .MOV files from a Canon PowerShot SX260 HS camera.

This error has occurred several times on several projects. The projects are saved and the error is replicable each time I tried to save the move in High Resolution (HD: 1920x1080). The error occurs at the same percentage on the progress bar, upon replication of the problem. Increasing the size of the Windows swap file makes no difference. While the movie is being rendered (before the error occurs) Task Manager shows CPU use at 80%+ and the memory use increases nearly linearly with time until 4 gigs are used. Then the memory use stays at 4 gigs, the CPU drops to near 0, and after a few minutes the error appears. The movies can be saved successfully at “Computer” resolution (854x480) and the memory use never went above 1.55 GB.

I can repeat the error with a single .MOV video of length 47 seconds. I saved the project with just this single video. The error is replicable with this long video at 26% complete. I then split that video, without shortening the total video, using the Split edit command. The movie can now be saved. To clarify, I did not shorten or edit the video, except to add a split at the 21 second point.  The movie renders successfully from this split video, and the memory use never went above 1.55 GB.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-11T19:02:28+00:00

    I've got about 1000 images I'm combining into a video.  No segments to split!

    I could of course combine in a series of steps, say 250 images at a time and attempt to combine the segments afterward.  But this is for a weekly recurring task so we're resorting to functional software instead.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-11T18:36:31+00:00

    Did you try my suggestion? Split the longest segments in about half (no other edits required).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-01-11T16:21:58+00:00

    RAM grows quickly during the save to file... an obvious memory leak bug.

    This program needs to be open-sourced so that it can be fixed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-12-02T14:46:26+00:00

    Hi DP2357,

    For this concern, I would suggest that you refer to the link below which will redirect you to a similar thread and read the post made by skier-hughes.

    Not enough memory, save at lower resolution

    Now, we would like you to:

    1. Ensure that you have the latest version for Windows Movie Maker. You can download the latest version here.

    2. Check that the files you are using are of a supported format – Some file formats are not supported by Movie Maker. A list of supported formats can be found here.

    3. Ensure that you have the proper codecs to play your videos and audio files. Audio and Video require codecs to play the file and it’s important to have the right codecs installed or updated in your PC.

    · Try running the Microsoft Fix It tool for codecs.

    · Media info will be able to identify the codec required for your audio and video files, and will provide a link to the website for the required codec. You can get It here.

    Note*: If you can't find the codec you need you may convert the video to a supported format (eg. wmv) and then add it to your Movie Maker project.*

    4. Ensure that your video card drivers are up to date. Movie Maker makes extensive use of the video card GPU (graphics processing unit). The display driver affects the reliability, performance, and compatibility of the video card with various software.

    To determine the version and video card driver date, run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool (dxdiag):

    a. Click on Start button and type dxdiag in the Search programs and files box and press Enter key on the keyboard.

    b. Click on the Display tab and you will see the driver details including the driver version.

    c. If your video card driver seems outdated please go to the video card driver manufacturer and see if a newer version is available.

    Thanks!

    I have to agree with the folks saying this is an issue with Movie Maker.  I had the same problem when attempting to render at 1080 P.  Eventually, I saved the video at 720 P (zune setting), and no other changes.  I use an Intel Quad Core I5 6400 with 8 gigs of ram.  My memory was sufficient, but processor ran at 97% - 100%.  It has no trouble with file types, locations, video lengths within the movie, or transitions, all of which were suggested on the web.  It just couldn't handle 1080 P.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments