Can't output sound to bluetooth speaker (JBL flip)

Anonymous
2013-05-22T21:48:22+00:00

Hi there,

I have a JBL flip portable bluetooth speaker which works fine with my smartphone etc.  My laptop (Samsung, windows 7) connects with it and identifies it as a bluetooth headset, however I can't play any music through it at all.  The laptop doesn't recognize it as a "playback device" or a piece of hardware in the "sound" section of the control panel and I can't seem to get it to work at all.

Any ideas anyone?

Many thanks

Mike

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-05-23T14:40:53+00:00

Hi Michael,

The issue could be caused in the Volume Settings, sound card or driver.

. Did you check the issue with different laptop?

Follow the methods below:

Method 1:

Try using the Playing Audio troubleshooter to fix the problem. It checks for common problems with your volume settings, your sound card or driver, and your speakers or headphones.

Tips for fixing common sound problems:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Tips-for-fixing-common-sound-problems

Method 2:

Try installing the drivers and check the status.

Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

Method 3:

After you've paired (connected) a Bluetooth enabled device with a Bluetooth enabled computer, you can change the name of the device or enable or disable services for it. You can also control how your computer pairs with this and with other Bluetooth enabled devices.

Change settings for a Bluetooth enabled device:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-settings-for-a-Bluetooth-enabled-device

For reference:

Add a Bluetooth or other wireless or network device: frequently asked questions:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Add-a-Bluetooth-or-other-wireless-or-network-device-frequently-asked-questions

For more help:

Contact JBL Support:

http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/support/spdp.jsp?pid=JBL FLIP

Let us know the status of the issue. If you need further assistance, please post back. We will be glad to help you.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-12-03T08:23:07+00:00

    I just bought a JBL GO and found to have the same issue as yours. After some struggling, I got it to work.

    As the first things towards troubleshooting this issue, connect your JBL Speaker over Bluetooth to the PC. You need to see "Connected" status.

    Now, try playing a song, if it plays through the device, great! If not, here's what you need to do:

    1. Go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Devices and Printers
    2. Do you see your JBL Device showing up here? (For e.g. I could see JBL GO listed under Devices)
    3. Right click on the JBL Device and choose Properties.
    4. Open the tab that says "Services".
    5. If everything is fine, you should see 2-3 services listed. Select Audio Sink, Handsfree Telephony.
    6. Click on OK.

    Verifying Now:

    1. Go to Device manager.
    2. Under Sound, Video & Game Controllers, you should see:

     -> JBL <device name> Hands-Free

     -> JBL <device name> Stereo

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-01-17T17:46:32+00:00

    Hi -

    I have a JBL speaker and am having issues as well playing music out of my Surface Pro 3. It pairs fine but then it goes in and out of Bluetooth connection. And, when it is connected, it doesn't play music out of it even though it is the default device. Suggestions? I did what Sanjeev suggested above but under "Services" it only said "Audio Sink" which I selected and said OK but nothing changed.

    Thanks,

    Paige

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-04-09T16:14:40+00:00

    Hi,

    Today, I tried to connect JBL Flip 2 with my new HP Laptop and the connection and everything else worked fine but still no sound was output on the speaker.

    Initially I thought there would be a simple fix - A driver update but after browsing and check various articles the issue persisted. Then getting clues from various articles, I noticed two things:

    1. In the Device and Printers section, JBL shows two sound services - Audio Sink and Handsfree Telephony.

    1. In the sounds section, following output options are displayed

    On Testing, Headphone earphone was working fine but stereo was not working (which would produce good sound quality).

    Then as a trial, I Unchecked Handsfree Telephony in step 1 screenshot above and then YES you must have guessed right, sounds section showed only one output option for JBL - Speakers and it worked fine, VOILA !!

    Somebody from MS should check this and let us know what is the root cause here and they should actively help on forums to help with various device connectivity issues!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-06-03T07:53:49+00:00

    My case was the sounds initially still using my ThinkPad to output the sounds even I had successfully paired with JBL Clip (basically is JBL Go - but it shown as JBL Clip in Windows 7). Hence I open the control panel -< Sounds -> click the HeadPhone and then press Set as Default. Viola.... now the default speaker output is toward my JBL Go. Hope this can answer your question.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments