Cannot move or copy files: The requested resource is in use.

Anonymous
2013-03-11T13:27:08+00:00

Hello, I encountered this error about a month or two. I was attempting to fix this myself before posting and asking the question in Microsoft Answers. I was trying to move and copy some pictures and videos from my phone to my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate PC. I have tried moving some files from my old phone to the PC, I still encounter this. I have noted that everytime I have to wait until the preview window has generated the thumbnail or preview whatever then I can open or copy to my PC's desktop. I have also tried copy to another directory, but I still encounter the same. I dont wanna waste time on this and wait for the preview comes everytime to open or copy the file. Ive also tried to cancel or hide the preview pane to stop generating the preview. But I still got the same result. So here I am asking for advices and help. Thank you.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-10-12T09:58:08+00:00

When you open windows explorer you will get two panes close right side pane that is call preview pane. 

 and try now your problem will resolved.

thanks and regards

Manish Raj Bhatnagar.

Was this answer helpful?

1200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-08T21:46:47+00:00

    Ha!@!@ The MS technicians fail in their ignorance and waste our time as users, whilst the answer is simple, yet illogical and annoying--found via the desperate work of an unpaid user. MS should give free and effective upgrades in perpetuity and hire users who solve stuff.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-09-21T02:42:42+00:00

    Un freaking believable, that WAS it.  The preview pane cause the error.  Moderator, stop wasting time and just report the issue to be fix please.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-09-04T06:06:45+00:00

    ****, this has been resolved over two whole years ago and MS are still yet to release a patch/update to fix this ridiculous bug!? Thank god for your answer I never would have thought to close the preview window!! Boo Microsoft!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-06-05T18:44:16+00:00

    Thank you for your solution! For clarity, the button to close the window or pane which the computer terms it as "Hide the preview pane" is an icon in the upper right of the explorer window. The icon name changes to "Show the preview pane" to bring it back. If this procedure doesn't work as it didn't work for me, keeping the preview panel in the hidden state (not clicking "Show the preview pane") and restart the computer. Then it should work. If the preview pane is turned back on, this procedure will have to be repeated for future phone to computer file transfers. Computer to phone file transfers is not affected by this.

    It would appear that Windows is attempting to render a preview of the file in the phone that was highlighted for copying but is unable to. It continues to try to preview the file causing it to say that it cannot copy the file because Windows Explorer is busy trying to get a preview of the file in the phone. The phone cannot provide this because it is not programmed that way or for some other technical reason.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments