Cannot move or copy files: The requested resource is in use.

Anonymous
2013-03-11T13:27:08+00:00

Hello, I encountered this error about a month or two. I was attempting to fix this myself before posting and asking the question in Microsoft Answers. I was trying to move and copy some pictures and videos from my phone to my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate PC. I have tried moving some files from my old phone to the PC, I still encounter this. I have noted that everytime I have to wait until the preview window has generated the thumbnail or preview whatever then I can open or copy to my PC's desktop. I have also tried copy to another directory, but I still encounter the same. I dont wanna waste time on this and wait for the preview comes everytime to open or copy the file. Ive also tried to cancel or hide the preview pane to stop generating the preview. But I still got the same result. So here I am asking for advices and help. Thank you.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-10-12T09:58:08+00:00

When you open windows explorer you will get two panes close right side pane that is call preview pane. 

 and try now your problem will resolved.

thanks and regards

Manish Raj Bhatnagar.

Was this answer helpful?

1200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-17T13:58:23+00:00

    I was getting this problem and it was driving me mad. Then I found it was due to Google backing up files from my phone when I plugged it into the PC. As soon as the backup was finished the files unlocked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-19T05:47:17+00:00

    Dear sirs,

    I too encountered this problem while trying to play, copy, or cut my video I had on my android phone. 

    The error was indeed Error: 0x800700AA   The Requested Resource is in use.  

    Closing the preview pane on the right hand side of the screen fixed it.

    You can close the preview pane by going to the top left of your screen in the command bar, clicking view, then you will notice preview pane is selected. Change it to "Details Pane"  and the problem was fixed.

    Thank you so much!

    James

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-27T18:19:49+00:00

    I do not have a preview pane open anywhere

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-27T17:53:50+00:00

    Its because when you copy or move your preview pane is on top which will not allow the files if you close it files get copy and move from disk.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments