Cannot move or copy files: The requested resource is in use.

Anonymous
2013-03-11T13:27:08+00:00

Hello, I encountered this error about a month or two. I was attempting to fix this myself before posting and asking the question in Microsoft Answers. I was trying to move and copy some pictures and videos from my phone to my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate PC. I have tried moving some files from my old phone to the PC, I still encounter this. I have noted that everytime I have to wait until the preview window has generated the thumbnail or preview whatever then I can open or copy to my PC's desktop. I have also tried copy to another directory, but I still encounter the same. I dont wanna waste time on this and wait for the preview comes everytime to open or copy the file. Ive also tried to cancel or hide the preview pane to stop generating the preview. But I still got the same result. So here I am asking for advices and help. Thank you.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-10-12T09:58:08+00:00

When you open windows explorer you will get two panes close right side pane that is call preview pane. 

 and try now your problem will resolved.

thanks and regards

Manish Raj Bhatnagar.

Was this answer helpful?

1200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-10-28T03:43:43+00:00

    When you open windows explorer you will get two panes close right side pane that is call preview pane. 

     and try now your problem will resolved.

    thanks and regards

    Manish Raj Bhatnagar.

    I encountered the same problem and your solution worked pretty well. Just for curiosity what is the reason for this problem to occur in the first place? 

    It is because the USB speed is slow rendering. It has to scan the file and actually transfer some of it to generate the preview.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-09-21T02:42:42+00:00

    Un freaking believable, that WAS it.  The preview pane cause the error.  Moderator, stop wasting time and just report the issue to be fix please.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-09-04T06:06:45+00:00

    ****, this has been resolved over two whole years ago and MS are still yet to release a patch/update to fix this ridiculous bug!? Thank god for your answer I never would have thought to close the preview window!! Boo Microsoft!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-03-17T08:18:43+00:00

    Hi,

    Thank you for your response.

    I would suggest that you try to create a new user account and check. If the issue is fixed, then fix a corrupted user profile.


    New User account:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-user-account

    Fix a corrupted user profile:

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

    If the issue persists, please get back to us at the earliest. We will be glad to help you further.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments