DirecTv App not available on Windows Store

Anonymous
2013-09-10T05:54:07+00:00

Original title: DirecTv App

I have a DirecTV account that has an app for my phone and another tablet that I own that allows me to watch and control live TV from both devices. There is no such app for the surface yet and when I go to DirecTV's website to view programming it is not allowed on the surface, it warns that I must use the store but it don't exist on the store. Any hope for TV provider apps for the surface or is this something Microsoft is intentionally stopping? I noticed there is nothing for brighthouse, Comcast, timer warner etc. as well.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Microsoft Store

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-04-13T06:30:29+00:00

    So, I happened to find this post in a search.  Pretty old so the answer to this question may not be relevant in the year 2013 because at that time DirecTV did have an app.  It was called DirecTV2PC.  A company called CyberLink, the same people that make PowerDVD, actually created the app along with DirecTV.  It allowed you to stream the content from your DVR while on your own network in your house.  It was not for streaming live TV like the mobile apps do though, which I found quite ridiculous that they would allow it on a mobile device but not a PC.  It worked pretty good.  It even streamed in full HD.  As long as you were using DHCP that is, because DirecTV sucks at network support in their apps.  

    Now, when Windows 10 rolled out, it just so happened that DirecTV killed support for DirecTV2PC.  Basically a middle finger to PC users who were streaming their content from their DVR for years.  They did offer another solution which was to purchase another device called a GenieGO.  Then the GenieGO app would allow you to stream the content to your PC.  But the quality of the stream was more like a VHS video than HD and the audio quality was like listening to a 56kbps MP3 from 1999.  Surprise, surprise, they killed support for that too.  The device itself would cost you $100.  I bought one and a few months later asked for my money back because it was obsolete within a year of my purchase. 

    At this point there are NO DirecTV apps for the Windows or Mac platform or any PC platform for that matter.  They simply will not allow you to stream your DVR content to a PC and they say they have no plans on bringing back any app that will allow you to do so.  Although they still allow you to do it on a tablet or a phone.  What it comes down to is DirecTV does not want PC users to capture their content and then upload it to a sharing site. I have no proof of that, but it's pretty clear that PC users are smarter users and they know what they are doing.  People that actually have a desire to stream content to a 4" inch screen, not so smart.  Why do you think they need a "smart" device?

    The only thing you can do from your PC at this point is go to the DirecTV website, log in, and enjoy their very limited selection of content and by and large live content that they restrict you from playing on your PC.  If you want to have a laugh, call DirecTV support and ask them how you can stream your recorded content from your DVR.  They will flat out lie to you and tell you can do it from the DirecTV site.  When you ask them for directions on how to do this, suddenly they don't know what your talking about.  You know why? Because this functionality does not exist on the website.  I've had them lie to me on 3 different occasions on this same topic.

    Hopefully this was informative and you now know that DirecTV offers no apps for smart people that want to watch their recorded content on the PC platform of their choice due to their paranoia that they will lose money simply because there is a chance that someone will decide to capture the content.  Welcome to the world of greedy media companies!

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-04-04T02:48:42+00:00

    true but cant

    watch live tv.

    Thanks to Win10 no more mmc.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-04-04T02:37:24+00:00

    I anyone still runs into this problem the only solution I found was downloading the app of the channel you want to watch and sign in that channel through your direct tv account. You don't get any of the direct tv on the go convenience but at least you can watch some of your fav shows

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-04-01T13:10:32+00:00

    This is a ridiculous non-answer. The Windows site your link take people to suggests the app could be hidden by "parental controls" or not available in the U.S. Really? No way Windows is working to address their lack of app support. That is exactly why the Surface will always be a niche item for specialty users. It's an incredible shame that Windows doesn't take ownership of the problems associated with their app store. That is exactly why Windows 8 and 10 will eventually be replaced with something else on personal computers.

    They should apologize for wasting our time and money on a poorly conceived product. I do own 4 Windows computers and I have always bought Windows computers since Windows 95 so I'm not abandoning Windows, I feel like Microsoft is abandoning me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-02-05T13:33:58+00:00

    Its unfortunate but I feel the same way you do but for Android.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments