Windows 8 using 100% of HDD with high average response times and low read/write speed

Anonymous
2013-04-29T02:11:24+00:00

Hi There,

Since I upgraded to Windows 8 (in January), I have intermittently experienced freezes, and general performance dips. Upon investigating I found that when this occurred, my Hard Drive was showing as 100% Active Time, with a low Read and Write Speed (could be as low as 10 KB/s or as high as 40MB/s) and an Average Response time well into the 1000's (ms).

This is an example https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23428568/100%25%20HDD.png.

The same thing happens on all the Hard Drives when they're in use. Since it originally started happening, it has only become worse and more frequent. I had thought it may have been a heat problem, but it never gets above 40-50c on the HDD.

All in all.. i'm very confused and really looking for any help you can provide because it's really affecting my daily usage...

Computer Model - Alienware M15X Laptop

OS - Windows 8 Pro 64Bit

Thanks in advance :)

Oliver

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-23T17:44:40+00:00

    Hello,

    I would like to try clean up my registry too. How can I do that on Windows RT (Surface)? Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-22T16:30:21+00:00

    I would like the share HAPPILY THAT I HAVE CHANCED UPON A POTENTIAL SOLUTION to this problem. That is optimizing the registry !. While installing a Bluetooth device driver I got a 183 error and while searching the solution suggested was to clean up registry. When I analysed the registry, I was amazed to notice that it was rather like a junk yard (3000 bad entries) than a vital storage necessary to run a complex OS & its apps. It means that many of the applications that we install and uninstall, including those from Microsoft (like Silverlight) leave some debris that affect the performance of the registry, it seems.

    I used the CCleaner discussed in the link http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/free-registry-cleaner-programs.htm. Take a back up of the registry using the Export menu in the 'RegEdit' program before running the cleaner. 

    After this, the random spikes in disk usage is almost not there since the last 6 days. Others may please try this and share your experience.

    1. The spike in the disk usage and consequent lock up of the PC for 4-5 minutes has been happening as randomly as just clicking on a tab of the IE or opening a small PDF  or even moving the mouse. Simply there was no pattern at all. I have tried disabling the Antimalware executable, disabling search indexing, increasing the virtual memory, upgrading to Win 8.1, removing all unwanted software, disconnecting network, etc. None of these have helped.
    2. In two instances the disk usage definitely spikes even now. (a) If the auto update is on (I have kept it off now), (b) if the Windows has been idle for quite some time. In the later instance it appears that the MSMPENG.exe takes over and starts scanning the machine for virus / malware. To test this, start the Task manager (TM) window and switch of the monitor while the machine is on. Immediately you can seen that the red light glows indicating the spike in HDD use. When you switch the monitor on you can see the result in the TM.
    3. Many times under the Processes in the TM, the System (ntoskrnl.exe) or one of the Service Host (Svhost.exe) processes show high Disk Usage while in Details tab one can see that the I/O read of the MSMPENG or IE or some other process goes up. It makes me think that the issue is inherent in the internals of the OS and it is time Microsoft looks deeper into this.
    4. I am not quite sure why cleaning the registry would resolve this issue but that is breakthrough I have seen after struggling with this for over 10 months.

    There are literally over a 100 threads in different forums, including 20+, in this forum about the high disk usage in Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 on PCs or laptops of different brands, configurations, types of HDD, etc. I suggest that Microsoft engineers take this serious and work towards a solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-10-22T20:12:20+00:00

    Bingo I have same problem wit h 8.1 its strange because I have had it installed since end of September and no problems till the other day 

    I used my custom refresh image for a refresh and it sorta gone but the system still feels slow and sense patch Tuesday October I have lost my laptop internal can and with the refresh still gone

    I'm on a dell xps 17 3D model

    12gig ram a nvidia 555m 3gig ram

    With a 2760q quad

    700gig HD Hitachi 7200rpm

    There's no reason this system should come to a crawl out of no where's doing simple web browsing

    Has any one found any better fixxes as most here tryed still don't solve problem

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-10-05T18:53:34+00:00

    True (: it doesn't help. The pagefile.sys and the swapfile.sys is writing furiously always when the lag happens.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-09-30T14:56:17+00:00

    Possibly not relevant here given that Surface RT's use Windows RT, and have an SSD not an HDD.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments