Windows 8 using 100% of HDD with high average response times and low read/write speed

Anonymous
2013-04-29T02:11:24+00:00

Hi There,

Since I upgraded to Windows 8 (in January), I have intermittently experienced freezes, and general performance dips. Upon investigating I found that when this occurred, my Hard Drive was showing as 100% Active Time, with a low Read and Write Speed (could be as low as 10 KB/s or as high as 40MB/s) and an Average Response time well into the 1000's (ms).

This is an example https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23428568/100%25%20HDD.png.

The same thing happens on all the Hard Drives when they're in use. Since it originally started happening, it has only become worse and more frequent. I had thought it may have been a heat problem, but it never gets above 40-50c on the HDD.

All in all.. i'm very confused and really looking for any help you can provide because it's really affecting my daily usage...

Computer Model - Alienware M15X Laptop

OS - Windows 8 Pro 64Bit

Thanks in advance :)

Oliver

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-16T14:20:13+00:00

    Hi There,

    Since I upgraded to Windows 8 (in January), I have intermittently experienced freezes, and general performance dips. Upon investigating I found that when this occurred, my Hard Drive was showing as 100% Active Time, with a low Read and Write Speed (could be as low as 10 KB/s or as high as 40MB/s) and an Average Response time well into the 1000's (ms).

    This is an example https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23428568/100%25%20HDD.png.

    The same thing happens on all the Hard Drives when they're in use. Since it originally started happening, it has only become worse and more frequent. I had thought it may have been a heat problem, but it never gets above 40-50c on the HDD.

    All in all.. i'm very confused and really looking for any help you can provide because it's really affecting my daily usage...

    Computer Model - Alienware M15X Laptop

    OS - Windows 8 Pro 64Bit

    Thanks in advance :)

    Oliver

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-16T13:52:14+00:00

    It just seems odd that this should be a hardware issue since there are many reports of it happening in brand new computers. 

    It's not really that surprising; as computer makers try harder to make cheaper computers, more and more of the computer parts are going to be cheaper and less reliable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-16T13:09:36+00:00

    Very; the saddest thing is that Microsoft is mute about it. I won't go back to Mac and can't go to Linux so I am kind of stuck with Windows: it has been the less frustrating user experience in spite of all this trouble...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-16T12:22:39+00:00

    It just seems odd that this should be a hardware issue since there are many reports of it happening in brand new computers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-01-16T11:55:31+00:00

    After more than 6 months of suffering, cursing, downgrading, upgrading, formatting, reinstalling and all sort of pagan rituals, I decided to give a try and get a new hard drive. 

    I installed Windows 8.1 from scratch and it seemed to do the trick (two weeks and counting...)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments