Unable To delete thumbs.db

Anonymous
2013-01-21T09:48:54+00:00

Since I moved to windows 8 I have been increasingly having a problem  with deleting any thumbs.db. I do not have the files in the folder open nor did I have them open at any point prior to trying to delete the files. But I continual get the error " file is one in explorer" . I never had this problem in windows 7 and if I did have it I would simply restart.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-01-22T05:38:50+00:00

Hi,

From your issue description, I understand that You are not able to delete thumbs.db. Please let me know if you are not facing this issue.

Thumbs.db is created when using thumbnail preview. I would suggest you to try the following steps.

a. Press Windows + C and Type Control Panel

b. Click "Appearance and Personalization"

c. Click "Folder Options"

d. Open the "View" tab

e. Uncheck "Display file icon on thumbnails"

f. Click OK, and exit control panel. You should now be able to delete the folder and the thumbs.db file.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows in future. We will be glad to assist.

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-11-10T09:57:31+00:00

    YOU DA REAL MVP. Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-03-05T20:36:23+00:00

    Hallelujah!  Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-03-05T22:45:35+00:00

    Hi,

    From your issue description, I understand that You are not able to delete thumbs.db. Please let me know if you are not facing this issue.

    Thumbs.db is created when using thumbnail preview. I would suggest you to try the following steps.

    a. Press Windows + C and Type Control Panel

    b. Click "Appearance and Personalization"

    c. Click "Folder Options"

    d. Open the "View" tab

    e. Uncheck "Display file icon on thumbnails"

    f. Click OK, and exit control panel. You should now be able to delete the folder and the thumbs.db file.

    Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows in future. We will be glad to assist.

    This is the typical kind of unintelligent answer we always get from typical "call centers". Misses the point completely. [and don't get indignant over criticism and try to block my comment]

    The file can't be deleted because Windows has put a "lock" on it. I don't know if that's a bug in the system or if it has a good reason.

    Someone else said to change the folder view to not show system files. Does that mean it can then be deleted?

    However I find that all such things can be deleted after a computer restart. The locks are reset because you haven't used anything yet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-05-04T03:15:02+00:00

    Thanks Really Helpful for Me :D

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments