Unable To delete thumbs.db

Anonymous
2013-01-21T09:48:54+00:00

Since I moved to windows 8 I have been increasingly having a problem  with deleting any thumbs.db. I do not have the files in the folder open nor did I have them open at any point prior to trying to delete the files. But I continual get the error " file is one in explorer" . I never had this problem in windows 7 and if I did have it I would simply restart.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-01-22T05:38:50+00:00

Hi,

From your issue description, I understand that You are not able to delete thumbs.db. Please let me know if you are not facing this issue.

Thumbs.db is created when using thumbnail preview. I would suggest you to try the following steps.

a. Press Windows + C and Type Control Panel

b. Click "Appearance and Personalization"

c. Click "Folder Options"

d. Open the "View" tab

e. Uncheck "Display file icon on thumbnails"

f. Click OK, and exit control panel. You should now be able to delete the folder and the thumbs.db file.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows in future. We will be glad to assist.

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-07-18T14:08:53+00:00

    the solution you are giving , is nto correct, you are just turning off a a feature.

    the question was how to delete the thumb.db ans till see thumbnails instead of program icons.

    Apologies for the geeky article, but it solves a problem experienced by many web developers who use Windows as their primary OS. Thumbs.db is an image cache which makes thumbnail viewing faster. The file is automatically created in Windows Vista, 7 and 8 whenever images are encountered in a folder. It’s usually hidden but can appear, disappear and is often impossible to delete.

    I understand the point of Thumbs.db, but that doesn’t prevent several irritations:

    • It affects version control. If you’re using a system such as TortoiseGit or TortoiseSVN, Thumbs.db will cause “changed” icon overlays to appear when you’ve not modified any files.
    • They often get uploaded to live servers where they’re pointless.
    • Unless you’ve got a slow PC, you probably won’t notice any speed improvement.
    • I don’t want auto-generated files cluttering my system, thank you!

    Fortunately, there’s an easy way to prevent further Thumbs.db hassle:

    1. Ensure you’re logged in using an administrator account.
    2. Hit Win+R, type gpedit.msc in the Run window and click OK. The Local Group Policy Editor will be launched.
    3. Navigate through the tree to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > then either Windows Explorer (Windows Vista/7) or File Explorer (Windows 8). ![](http://blogs.sitepointstatic.com/images/tech/782-switch-off-thumbsdb-1.png)
    4. In the right-hand pane, double-click “Turn off the caching of thumbnails in hidden thumbs.db files”.
    5. Select Enabled (don’t make my mistake of choosing “Disabled” — you’re enabling the switching off of Thumbs.db. Not particularly intuitive, Microsoft!) ![](http://blogs.sitepointstatic.com/images/tech/782-switch-off-thumbsdb-2.png)

    OK your way out and it’s job done — you’ll never be troubled by Thumbs.db files ever again!

    from:

    http://www.sitepoint.com/switch-off-thumbs-db-in-windows/

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-30T16:30:55+00:00

    Thank you for the reply.

    We appreciate the research you did to find a fix for the issue. Please feel free to reply, in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-29T22:21:47+00:00

    I had this problem and someone was able to explain a solution by registry editing.

    The entire thread is here or you can cut and paste:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8\_1-files/thumbsdb-file-in-use-by-another-program-inhibits/31757847-8be8-439b-8a33-d24599ef3b26

    You copy the following into notepad and save it as a .reg file.

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

    "NoThumbnailCache"=dword:00000001

    "DisableThumbnailCache"=dword:00000001

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer]

    "DisableThumbsDBOnNetworkFolders"=dword:00000001

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

    "NoThumbnailCache"=dword:00000001

    "DisableThumbnailCache"=dword:00000001

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

    "DisableThumbnailCache"=dword:00000001

    "NoThumbnailCache"=dword:00000001

    You then double click the .reg file you just created.  It should stop thumbnail caching. 

    Thank you to DaveOtt chasing down the final solutionand thank you Karthik Vengaloor for explaining it in more detail.

    Regards,

    GregD

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-04-30T17:47:35+00:00

    Hi,

    Start your computer in safe mode and check if you can delete it.

    Refer this link to start the computer in safe mode.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments