Unable To delete thumbs.db

Anonymous
2013-01-21T09:48:54+00:00

Since I moved to windows 8 I have been increasingly having a problem  with deleting any thumbs.db. I do not have the files in the folder open nor did I have them open at any point prior to trying to delete the files. But I continual get the error " file is one in explorer" . I never had this problem in windows 7 and if I did have it I would simply restart.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-01-22T05:38:50+00:00

Hi,

From your issue description, I understand that You are not able to delete thumbs.db. Please let me know if you are not facing this issue.

Thumbs.db is created when using thumbnail preview. I would suggest you to try the following steps.

a. Press Windows + C and Type Control Panel

b. Click "Appearance and Personalization"

c. Click "Folder Options"

d. Open the "View" tab

e. Uncheck "Display file icon on thumbnails"

f. Click OK, and exit control panel. You should now be able to delete the folder and the thumbs.db file.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows in future. We will be glad to assist.

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-11-04T12:16:34+00:00

    Unchecked "show thumbnails" - the error persists.  What now?  Is there a tool that will force the delete function to work properly or do I have to boot off a live linux CD to do this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-08-21T17:01:20+00:00

    Hello,

    Thanks for reaching out.

    Check the answer of Karthik Vengaloor on how to delete thumbs.db files.

    Let us know how it goes.

    Regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-08-20T21:39:22+00:00

    I tried this trick. Well it worked for sometimes and then again it stopped working.

    I even tried copying .jpg image files into that folder, and that too didn't work.

    I hope to see Microsoft releasing a official solution for this issue.

    Thank You

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-13T17:06:13+00:00

    Just move cursor to right upper corner than click on search and type in Folder Option and follow the rest:

    c. Click "Folder Options"

    d. Open the "View" tab

    e. Uncheck "Display file icon on thumbnails"

    f. Click OK, and exit control panel.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments