Unable To delete thumbs.db

Anonymous
2013-01-21T09:48:54+00:00

Since I moved to windows 8 I have been increasingly having a problem  with deleting any thumbs.db. I do not have the files in the folder open nor did I have them open at any point prior to trying to delete the files. But I continual get the error " file is one in explorer" . I never had this problem in windows 7 and if I did have it I would simply restart.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-01-22T05:38:50+00:00

Hi,

From your issue description, I understand that You are not able to delete thumbs.db. Please let me know if you are not facing this issue.

Thumbs.db is created when using thumbnail preview. I would suggest you to try the following steps.

a. Press Windows + C and Type Control Panel

b. Click "Appearance and Personalization"

c. Click "Folder Options"

d. Open the "View" tab

e. Uncheck "Display file icon on thumbnails"

f. Click OK, and exit control panel. You should now be able to delete the folder and the thumbs.db file.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows in future. We will be glad to assist.

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-08-26T15:18:00+00:00

    Hi Aravinth,

    Thank you for updating us with the status of the issue. Let us know if you have any other issues with Windows in future.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-08-24T16:28:50+00:00

    Me too, Windows 8.1 suddenly started showing thumbs.db in all folders and on desktop.  I need to have thumbnail view as I have so many pictures.  I keep dumping it in Recycle Bin but it just comes back. How do you stop it creating and recreating itself?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-19T10:56:11+00:00

    Hi Vijay,

    Really Really it worked.Thanks for your Answer.Helped me a lot.Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-07-18T18:48:43+00:00

    the solution you are giving , is nto correct, you are just turning off a a feature.

    the question was how to delete the thumb.db ans till see thumbnails instead of program icons.

    Fortunately, there’s an easy way to prevent further Thumbs.db hassle:

    1. Ensure you’re logged in using an administrator account.
    2. Hit Win+R, type gpedit.msc in the Run window and click OK. The Local Group Policy Editor will be launched.

    . . .

    TonySopranoCH -

    What if a person has a Windows 8.1 regular edition?  There is no gpedit.msc and no Local Group Policy Editor available if you do not have the professional edition.  My entire thread linked above (again linking ***here***) explains that issue in more detail and found that for those who can not use your group policy solution, registry editing is the only option.  I have used that solution, I can see thumbnails in my directories if I like, and they are not cached.

    Thank you for listing a viable solution to those with the professional edition.  I wanted to mention the solution necessary for those of us with the regular edition.

    Regards, GregD

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments