KB977178 update is not applicable to your machine.

Anonymous
2013-09-22T04:30:34+00:00

Hello, I recently dl a hotfix from Microsoft, here is the linkhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/977178/en-us. I dl the version for my machine which is a Windows 7 x64 based one but when I tried to apply the fix it says, "This update is not applicable to your machine". Please help

Original title: Update Problems

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-10-03T11:20:41+00:00

    I recommend that you run Disk CleanUp or cCleaner to remove temporary files as this will reduce scanning times by security software.

    Boot the computer to safe mode with networking and download and install Malwarebytes (freeware version for home users only), update definitions and run in normal mode. Disable other security software whilst you are doing scans.

    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

    http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes\_free

    http://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/entries/21892442-Should-I-scan-with-Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware-in-Safe-Mode-

    Download and run SuperAntiSpyware (Free Edition)

    http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

    Please upload the latest dump file to your Sky Drive.

    I would like to see what loads when you boot. To identify what loads when you boot use Autoruns (freeware from Microsoft).

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

    With Autoruns you can uncheck an item, which disables it from starting, or you can right click an item and then delete it. If you uncheck you can recheck to re-enable the item. It is a much safer approach than editing the Registry and better than using msconfig.

    A useful feature of the programme is that you can right click an item and select Search Online to get information about the item selected.

    A useful guide:

    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/analyze\_all\_autorun\_auto-start\_programs\_in\_windows.cfm

    Select File, Save, change the “Save as type” to Text file type using the Scroll to the right and click Save. Please upload the file to your Sky Drive as a shared file and post as a link here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-10-02T21:51:47+00:00

    The windows drive will not show up in BIOS aswell and the only way to get my computer to recognize it is what I did in my response above. All memory dumps are still failing aswell with a 0x010 error

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-10-02T21:12:46+00:00

    Also, before it gave me the WerFault.exe error I recieved a Windows Explorer has stopped working message.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-10-02T21:10:11+00:00

    System Information: http://sdrv.ms/GzPFpb

    System logs: http://sdrv.ms/GzPIRT

    Application logs: http://sdrv.ms/GzPLNs

    I recieved another WerFault.exe error though after the Stop: 0x0F4. It said the reference memory at a location on my drive could not be written because of an I/O error. Then it gave me the option to terminate the program. I just waited and my system tried to reboot on its own but I recieved bootmngr is missing screen. I fixed this like I always do by removing the new drive and letting my windows drive boot up first then plugging it back in. Could this mean a bad motherboard or is there anyway for the new drive to conflict with my windows drive?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-10-02T09:59:42+00:00

    Please provide a fresh copy of your System Information file. Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key. Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload to your Sky Drive, share with everyone and post a link here. Please say if the report has been obtained in safe mode.

    Please upload and share with everyone copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your Sky Drive and post a link here.

    To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log. Do not provide filtered files.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments