Windows Movie Maker 2012: How to Add Picture Overlay Over Video While Retaining Audio

Anonymous
2012-12-02T04:44:38+00:00

Hey Community,

I'm currently making a Youtube video with Windows Movie Maker 2012 on Windows 8, and I wish to add Pictures here and there in my Video Track while retaining the symmetry of my Voice to Video from the Audio connected to my Video Track. Would really appreciate an answer because all other answers I have searched are very outdated (2007-2010).

Thanks for your time :)

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-12-03T06:24:46+00:00

Hi fredtoossi,

You can't directly overlay a photo to a video in Movie Maker, but you can achieve what you are trying to do by importing the audio for the video separately, and splitting the parts of the videos. Please follow these steps:

  1. Add the video to your Movie Maker project using the Add videos and photos button.
  2. Under Video Tools, set Video volume to none.
  3. Click the Add music button. On the right side of the File name box, set it to videos and located the video itself. 
  4. Go to the specific time where you want to put the photo.
  5. Under Video Tools, click Split.
  6. Go to the part where you want the photo to end, then click Split again.
  7. Please take note the length of the part where you want to put the photo, then delete that part of the video.
  8. Add the photo to the project, and move it to the part where you split the video.
  9. Click the photo, then under Video Tools, set the Duration equal to the length of the previously deleted part.
  10. Do this for the other parts of the video, you may need to adjust the videos to properly sync it with the audio.

Please let us know if you need more help.

Thanks!

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-10-15T05:25:35+00:00

Transitions subtract from the duration.  So you have to account for that.  If you were to add 5 photos, for example, each 7 seconds long that would be 35 seconds.  But if you then put 4 transitions in between them each 1.25 seconds, that's a total of 5 seconds that would be subtracted.  So you would need to only trim 30 seconds of video out to still match up.

Another option is to try and view the waveforms and see if you can match the waveform of the video track and the waveform of the sound track and make sure they are exactly the same.  But that is a bit of trial and error.

A better option would be if Movie Maker allowed for a separate (additional) video track so you could add pictures on that track and they would not affect the original audio at all and there wouldn't be a need to do all this math to try and calculate the amount of video to trim out and replace.  :)

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-07-27T14:03:49+00:00

    Hello,

    Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community forum. From what I understand, you are using the Add Music option when adding a video file but Movie Maker won't recognize WMV file format. Is that right? I would be happy to assist you with that. In order to do so, can you elaborate further what you mean by Movies Maker.

    To isolate the issue, please try to convert the video file format to an audio file format and let us know if you will still encounter the issue.

    I look forward to hearing from you.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-07-27T12:54:13+00:00

    Hi Cesar_E,

    I am also experiencing same problem as David but in Windows Live Movie maker windows 7 not Movies maker.

    When using the add music to try to add same video files as Litton_B replied, it does not recognize .wmv extension.

    Though I was able to use a third party converter to convert the video file to .wmv.

    However it will be better if it adding a video file as music works as it was explained on this forum.

    I do not have Movies maker yet because I dont have the administrator privilege for the laptop I am using.

    Hope to get some response.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-06-18T02:40:38+00:00

    For some reason, every time I tried to split the file, the audio ended up sounding like chipmunks. So, I played around with fading in and out plus using one particular caption effect. The result I got is pretty close to what I wanted, so I'm staying with this:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qePYkAkefUE

    Thanks again for the great feedback.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments