Unable to delete pdf in windows 8

Anonymous
2013-02-03T13:50:18+00:00

When I try to delete a pdf file, the computer starts but then a message appears that "the action cannot be completed beacause the file is open in another programme".

However I do not believe that it actually is. I have unistalled the w.8 reader app so that cannot be it.

I only have had the laptop for two months now and it has been covered with the free norton antivirus all the time, so I think

it'd be unlikely that there is malware on the laptop.

Does anyone have an idea what may cause it and how I can solve?

Thanks a lot!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-04-29T11:05:17+00:00

Hi,

I had the same problem.

However, I was able to delete pdf's by hitting Shift+Delete keys.

Be aware that using particular key combination will delete your files permanently!

Good luck!

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-03T16:44:32+00:00

Right charm>Settings>PC Settings>General> Advanced Boot

Boot to safe mode

Does it still happen?

If so, right click file>properties>security tab>advanced>change owner to your username

then apply and ok

try again

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-09-17T07:53:53+00:00

Hello Mace,

Thank you for the reply.

I appreciate your concern.

I would suggest you to update Windows 8 to 8.1 to fix the bugs.

Refer this article:

Update to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/update-from-windows-8-tutorial

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-03T17:09:32+00:00

Ha, that's an awesome bug...

Be sure to mark your post as answered too, thanks for the tidbit of info, I think I may have come across this Windows bug too

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-02-03T16:24:23+00:00

    On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 15:09:50 +0000, nuccii wrote:

    If you are concerned about malware, download Malawarebytes and run it.

    Please note (you, but especially LynnS, if she (he?) does a web search
    for it) that it's spelled "Malwarebytes."

    Uninstall Norton anti virus by using the Norton removal tool you can download from their web site.  Then try to delete the file in question.  Windows Defender anti virus, built in Win 8, is all the protection you need

    It's not just a matter of "all the protection you need." Nobody should
    run two anti-virus programs. Running more than one can cause problems
    as they interfere with each other, and also hurt the computer's
    performance.

    but if you wish, you could always reinstall Norton anti virus, its your choice.

    Yes, it's Lynn's choice, but as far as I'm concerned (and many others
    here agree with me), Norton is one of the worst choices and Defender
    is one of the best.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments