Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG wireless network adapter and windows 8. Wifi connection problems

Anonymous
2013-05-13T21:59:31+00:00

HI, I have an ASUS n56vj with Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG wireless network adapter and windows 8. It doesnt connect with my home network wi fi, but my other devices work perfectly with it, with perfect sign. Why doesnt this one, what do I do? I have already installed latest version of the drivers provided by asus

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-05-14T16:25:23+00:00

Hi Daniela,

It looks like there is something in the network which is blocking the device to get connected. So I would suggest you to go through the article and check for the exact issue.

Why can’t I connect to a network?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/cant-connect-to-a-network

Why can’t I find a wireless network?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/cant-find-wireless-network

If you have any third party software installed on the computer, you can try disabling the anti-virus software and check.

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Reference:

Wired and wireless network problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows/network-connection-problem-help#network-problems=windows-8&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Do let us know about the results. We would be happy to help you further.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-05-26T11:18:28+00:00

Thanks this is a great suggestion for me since I also have a new ASUS computer. For many reasons, removing the ASUS Power4Gear application has helped, WiFi and processor speeds and congestion. The service was always running and activities were constant making those "helpful adjustment" to power settings. Once removed, I just went back to the actual MS pre-programmed power plans.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-02-01T16:16:32+00:00

    I have bought a Asus Vivobook S400CA-CA202H with the qualcomm atheros ar9485wb-eg and Windows 8 and i also had very low WiFi speed and numerous disconnects.

    Other devices on my WLAN are working properly.

    After seeking for 2 weeks for a solution i tried just about everything: other drivers, remove antivirus, other firmware/settings (encryption, MTU, enz.)router,

    reinstall OS, firewall settings, IP settings, power saving settings of the adapter. You name it.

    But this was the solution for me!!

    I noticed that the Asus Power4Gear Hybrid has i mind of it's own and constantly adjusted the performance settings.

    I removed Asus Power4Gear Hybrid and set the Windows 8 power scheme to high performance.

    I also configured the schema advanced settings for the wireless connection (maximum performance) and PCI express (disable).

    Good luck!

    Roelof

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-21T16:02:58+00:00

    I changed AdHoc 11n and I found alot more avaible wifi but I still have problem connecting to my home wifi (a Belkin N750DB dualband) after upgrading to win 8.1. Have tested a friends wifi and worked perfect after reseting wifi once. Why dosn't it work with my Belking router?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-20T17:35:02+00:00

    I had the same problem  until i changed the setting in the wifi card.  Search device manager and click on network,  then right click qualcomm atherous,  then click properties and go to AdHoc 11n and enable it if it is disabled.  Then reset the wifi and reconnect.  Hope this works for you

    Norm

    Thanks Norm:  This fix has proven to be the most useful.  The only remaining issue is that when MS issues an update or patch it resets the WIN8 default settings.  So periodically I have to manually re configure with these changes. I always know when MS has updated because my wifi connection stops working.

    I note the MS folks trying to dissemble when this problem is raised.  It is sad really because until everyone at MS gets on board with really addressing customer issues the company will continue to fail in its attempts to address market needs.  "IF YOU CUSTOMER CANNOT USE YOUR PRODUCT, NO MATTER WHY, THEN YOUR PRODUCT IS BROKEN!"

    Again Norm, thanks for the fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments