Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG wireless network adapter and windows 8. Wifi connection problems

Anonymous
2013-05-13T21:59:31+00:00

HI, I have an ASUS n56vj with Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG wireless network adapter and windows 8. It doesnt connect with my home network wi fi, but my other devices work perfectly with it, with perfect sign. Why doesnt this one, what do I do? I have already installed latest version of the drivers provided by asus

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-05-14T16:25:23+00:00

Hi Daniela,

It looks like there is something in the network which is blocking the device to get connected. So I would suggest you to go through the article and check for the exact issue.

Why can’t I connect to a network?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/cant-connect-to-a-network

Why can’t I find a wireless network?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/cant-find-wireless-network

If you have any third party software installed on the computer, you can try disabling the anti-virus software and check.

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Reference:

Wired and wireless network problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows/network-connection-problem-help#network-problems=windows-8&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Do let us know about the results. We would be happy to help you further.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-05-26T11:18:28+00:00

Thanks this is a great suggestion for me since I also have a new ASUS computer. For many reasons, removing the ASUS Power4Gear application has helped, WiFi and processor speeds and congestion. The service was always running and activities were constant making those "helpful adjustment" to power settings. Once removed, I just went back to the actual MS pre-programmed power plans.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-08-24T19:28:39+00:00

    You should check and see if your wireless is only broadcasting in 5GHz. I had this issue and I found out that the Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG only supports 2.4Ghz. (which is crazy considering how new and premium of a laptop I have)

    If you have a dual band router than you should be able to support both for all devices. If that is not the issue then definitely set the brodcast for the WiFi to a different channel just to see if there is to much conflict over the channel you are currently set at.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-08-07T12:37:37+00:00

    Hi,

    Last few days i have expirienced similar problems on HP Envy with Qualcomm Atheros QCA 9565.

    After trying everything I have found solution to my problems - it was overprotective behaviour of my Zone Alarm AV+firewall software. After deinstalation of Zone Alarm and rebooting laptop everything started to work.

    I have installed back Zone Alarm and so far I do not have any problem with wi-fi connectivity.

    I hope this is helpfull.

    ZG

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-08-03T01:09:53+00:00

    HI, I have an ASUS n56vj with Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG wireless network adapter and windows 8. It doesnt connect with my home network wi fi, but my other devices work perfectly with it, with perfect sign. Why doesnt this one, what do I do? I have already installed latest version of the drivers provided by asus

    I had the same issue with a new ASUS laptop with a Qualcomm Atheros wifi adapter. Spent a few days trying to fix the laptop. My other wireless devices were working just fine, but not the new laptop.  The problem was the wifi router.  You need to go to your router manufacturer's website and download the latest firmware update.  That should solve the problem ASAP.  I went from a pathetic download speed of 0.45 mpbs before the firmware update to 20 mpbs after the update. There's something different about the new generation of wifi adapters that prevents them from working with older routers, even if they are wireless N.

    Best of luck, Dave

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments