Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG wireless network adapter and windows 8. Wifi connection problems

Anonymous
2013-05-13T21:59:31+00:00

HI, I have an ASUS n56vj with Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG wireless network adapter and windows 8. It doesnt connect with my home network wi fi, but my other devices work perfectly with it, with perfect sign. Why doesnt this one, what do I do? I have already installed latest version of the drivers provided by asus

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-05-14T16:25:23+00:00

Hi Daniela,

It looks like there is something in the network which is blocking the device to get connected. So I would suggest you to go through the article and check for the exact issue.

Why can’t I connect to a network?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/cant-connect-to-a-network

Why can’t I find a wireless network?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/cant-find-wireless-network

If you have any third party software installed on the computer, you can try disabling the anti-virus software and check.

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Reference:

Wired and wireless network problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows/network-connection-problem-help#network-problems=windows-8&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Do let us know about the results. We would be happy to help you further.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-05-26T11:18:28+00:00

Thanks this is a great suggestion for me since I also have a new ASUS computer. For many reasons, removing the ASUS Power4Gear application has helped, WiFi and processor speeds and congestion. The service was always running and activities were constant making those "helpful adjustment" to power settings. Once removed, I just went back to the actual MS pre-programmed power plans.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-09-22T04:44:51+00:00

    If your Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter cant see the N router, it is because the router is broadcasting at 5Ghz. I had the same problem and once I changed the router to use the 2.4 Ghz band it connected just fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-09-14T16:53:20+00:00

    I just bought a Sony VAIO T15, and at my home I have a wireless LTE router that provides WiFi connections. My new VAIO has a Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter.

    When I connect to the LTE Router, the WiFi connection always dropped every 20-39 minutes, while all other devices such as VAIO E, iPads, iPhones, Kindle never had WiFi drops. I tried many fixes such as updating drivers, move Router closer, etc. All didn't work.

     At final, I went to my Router's setting page, I found it sent 802.11 b, g and n signals. I figured that the other Router (which is a ADSL) just emit 802.11 g signal. So I changed the setting of my LTE router, make it also just send 802.11 g signal. After all, you don't  need the faster connections (the 802.11 n) between your computer and your router, if at all your internet connection is not that faster. After the change, my LTE router changed to WPA2-Personal, and my connection is OK up to now, never drops.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-09-13T01:00:55+00:00

    Make sure your router security is set to WPA2 AES.

    If it's set to TPKI your connection speed will top out at 54Mbps but most probably less than that even though wireless cards are rated 150Mbps,300Mbps,450Mbps or 866.7Mbps.

    The best connections are made when the notebook and router are in line of sight with each other.

    If you can afford it,get a 3 antenna wireless card and install the 3rd antenna.

    For a 2 antenna setup the new Intel AC-7260 or Killer1202 would be good choices.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments