Someone needs to be fired at Microsoft for letting the current version out.
Would you be satisfied if he took his year-end bonu$e$ & then quit?
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I wanted to give some feedback on my experience with Windows 8 in general:
Background on my relationship with Windows: I have been using Windows since 3.1. I have been Microsoft's first/ best customer- basically I'm the one lined up the first day a new OS comes out ready to purchase it. It did it with Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows XP and Windows 7. Windows XP was the best thing Microsoft offered very honestly. Intuitive and quick.
I installed Windows 8 Consumer Preview and it was such a complete fail that I had to uninstall it. I should have given Microsoft feedback then but I just didn't. I thought surely you guys would fix glaring issues. You did not. I bought Windows 8 because of the extremely cheap upgrade price- otherwise I would not have done it (I also thought that some things would be fixed but nope- they were not). I am writing this now because I know 8.1 is coming out and I want to make sure you are looking at all the things that need to be fixed. I told many people after the Consumer Preview came out that 8 would be a complete train wreck/ fail and I see it is from all the reviews and crashing PC sales. When you have Jay Leno on the Tonight Show making fun of it- it is not good. The PC industry relies on Microsoft as well to get it right- you guys have let them down. I just don't see how you got it so wrong guys. You have done a great job for a very long time. Someone needs to be fired at Microsoft for letting the current version out. I'm very serious about that. You don't see this kind of fail at Apple. Someone is just not paying attention and you guys need to figure out what needs to be fixed to make sure it does not happen again. Didn't you do testing with business users and consumers? The current iteration says you did not.
Issues needing to be fixed:
More on this: You have to navigate this ridiculous setup to try and close things running in the background. So unintuitive. And frustrating to the max. I have to find my app then right click and click close? LOL. No. Go to the corner. X out. Done. This x out feature has to be brought back and integrated into the apps. It HAS to be. This is what makes Windows (the old Windows) so great. And you guys killed it with 8! :( I feel like I'm trapped when I open an app- and therefore I use the apps MUCH less. I'm in the Internet Explorer App. I need Excel. I have to: click on the bottom left corner to bring up the start menu- click desktop and find Excel. I could do it through the Start menu but it is so busy that it's hard to find things quickly like I can on my desktop. Now I need to go back to IE. Top corner- over- down- squint to find IE. click. Ugg! What did ya'll do? No! So frustrating - so not Microsoft. You have to design the interface so everything flows. You should not have to even think. I need to be able to click back and forth quickly between apps. Or use touch. Windows 8 is supposed to be about touch and the current setup is so crazy horrible I can't use it like it has the potential to be used. Please put some thought into how to better do this. You guys could really make this great if you wanted to and even make it better than Apple. There needs to be some serious thinking being done. Keywords: Quick. Intuitive. You do this for your customers and you have them as loyal customers like you did with me and every other version of Windows.
Good things:
System stability.
Apps: I think Microsoft has a win with the app approach. It just needs to be tweaked so that I want to use it. Allow me to group types of apps into folders of some sort maybe. I don't want to have to think when I go to access stuff. Right now I have to scan a wall of apps. It's too much. And again- allow me to x out of an app. Allow me to quickly switch between apps in an easier way.
Bottom line: Make it more intuitive. Make the user feel like they are IN CONTROL. Make me want to LOVE to use it- not research how to use every element. There is clear feedback users hate to use Windows 8. You do this and you have a WIN. This is what Microsoft is guys- ya'll can do it. I love Microsoft because of your open nature unlike Apple. Make me WANT to buy your product. Take out all these unintuitive and frustrating roadblocks you've put into Windows 8. You guys have the chance to be the best with the touch interface. DO IT! And advertise how you have changed. Damage has been done but you can turn it around. This is the only OS you have come out with that I've told friends and family NOT to buy in it's current iteration. Give me reasons to change my mind and recommend it.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Someone needs to be fired at Microsoft for letting the current version out.
Would you be satisfied if he took his year-end bonu$e$ & then quit?
I agree 100% with everything here. How could Microsoft possibly think that Windows 8 was a good idea? It's clearly designed for touchscreen tablets; fine, keep it specific to them. Whoever decided to foist it upon high spec laptops and force people who have been using previous versions of Windows for up to ten years is just incomprehensibly stupid. Have they not used a computer before? People that use real computers do not need massive square push button apps to use their laptops, it's like forcing a desktop to use Ice Cream Sandwich; it's ridiculous. I realise that Microsoft have made Windows 8 incredibly hard to uninstall, but I'll find a way, and I'll burn the Windows 8 OS onto a disc, and I'll burn it in effigy. Down with Windows 8! It's the New Coke of the 21st Century! Admit it and give us our 7 back! Or at least give people the option to choose their OS, for Christ's sake, is that too much to ask? If you have to force a product on people, to nigh universal disdain, maybe consider a backstep.
I tried the upgrade from Window 7 Home Premium ( 32 bit ) to Windows 8 Pro. I was given a key to the Windows Media Center and the download seemed to go nicely. After the installation, I discovered that I could not access my POP mail accounts or some of the features I had with Windows 7.
The very worst was that Windows 8 would wake my system from " sleep mode " and despite attempts from Microsoft Windows Technical support, the problem was never resolved. Windows 8 finally " crashed and burned" 31 days after it's install. Despite efforts to re-install, I finally decided to re-install Windows 7 Home Premium which I am complete satisfied with.
I now use a Mac system and could not be happier. I do use my Windows 7 system occasionally because of some of the features but am truly a Mac & Apple person now.
I just wanted to add my support to the feedback in this thread...
What a fantastic summary of the dogs dinner that is windows 8. I am so frustrated I am simply unable to to feedback without a torrent of expletives!
I have resisted buying a new machine, knowing the general consensus of the tech community regarding W8... Forced into buying a new laptop.. I purchased a new Dell i5 laptop that stated both W7 and 8 in the description... unfortunately this turned out to be an error... only W8.... Oh S H * T.
Offered a refund (What a nice retailer!), Had to decline, as new hardware is a business necessity.
3 days after delivery.... I am ready to throw the fookin thing out of the window....
To sack the individual responsible for this release is way too lenient... A long slow painful death over a period of a least 12 months would be approaching justice.
Release 8.1 - Like putting a temporary patch on the side of titanic! If Microsoft have has any hope of maintaining it's desktop market share then W 9 needs to make an appearance way before the current 2015 scheduled realease.
Rant over... time for a rest in a cool dark room now required
Homer - DOH!
I'm really unimpressed with Windows 8, which I was told to upgrade to Windows 8.1. I could not connect with our (Windows) server, which I paid a lot of money for. I was told I had to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro. So I called in our expensive team to do that for me. They took a lot of (expensive) time to work out that I had to downgrade back to Windows 8, move to Windows 8 Pro and then upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro. WTF!!!!???? GOOD MORNING MICROSOFT!?
CAN MICROSOFT PLEASE GET SOME NORMAL PEOPLE WORKING FOR THEM?
I do not have days on end to spare for **** that is supposed to work, nor a bottomless pit of cash for the alleged experts.
I COUL DEVELOP A BETTER SYSTEM THAN MICROSOFT HAVE, GIVEN TIME, AND THEY ARE TEMPTING ME.
Thank you.
William Bunbury