File transfer of large files suddenly stops

Anonymous
2013-08-14T21:13:39+00:00

Dear community and Microsoft support team,

since the release of Windows 8, I'm experiencing a strange issue on my SATA3 1TB HDD (I can specify the exact model if needed), running in AHCI mode.

When copying or moving larger files (starts with files of about 50 MB or more), the file transfer suddenly stops - the transfer rate goes down to 0 bytes/s.

I can't even pause or cancel the progress. The button then just grays out and I can only kill the explorer.exe to get this file task away (it stays there - and if I start another action it just gets joined in the file tasks window below the frozen task.

Here's an image. You can nicely see the sudden stop of the file copy action.

On the left side the progress just froze. It will stay like that _forever_. I tried waiting 2 days because the computer was running anyways. Nothing happened.

On the right side I tried to cancel it, but the buttons just gray out and the label says "Cancelling" - this will also _never_ happen. The other controls react normally to user input (e.g. hiding the details), but the buttons are disabled _forever_. The only way to get rid of this frozen task is to kill explorer.exe.

  • I experienced this problem on my and another pc in my old home.
  • I experienced it with different fresh and old Windows 8 installations on my current PC (very annoying after copying files back on a fresh Win8 install - it freezes even there).
  • It doesn't matter if this happens on local disks or over the network.
  • It doesn't matter if details are shown or not.
  • I also experienced this on Windows 8.1 Preview on my laptop.

Thanks for any help in advance. If you need additional details, feel free to ask me.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-04T11:57:32+00:00

    Same problem here.

    I did a complete new install 8.1 on a SSD. No other programs installed, only windows 8.1.

    Copying/Transferring of larger files via the network to another device or to a USB stick stops.

    It seems to be random. Sometimes it stops after 8% or 44%, speed is reduced to zero.

    It worked fine till a week ago.

    Anybody an idea? Safe start or clean boot seems not the solution.

    Any help will be appreciated

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-04T12:41:49+00:00

    This is outrageous. It's been over a year since the issue was brought up and there's still no fix. This literally makes the computer unusable unless all the files you would ever need in the world happen to be on a single partition.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-06-19T22:55:15+00:00

    This problem seems common with windows 8.1.  I have been experiencing it for several months now.  I used to be able to copy large video files from my DVD player to hard drive with no problems.  Then out of the blue, after one of Microsoft's "upgrades", the problem cropped up.  Good luck getting any help from Microsoft David.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-08-03T15:41:59+00:00

    To advise anyone looking at this old thread, it appears the problem hasn't been resolved with Windows 10 either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-08-24T08:26:31+00:00

    It is rather strange. When you do not look to the screen showing the details, then the file transfer is working correct.

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments