No problem i ran out of ideas myself :(
File transfer of large files suddenly stops
Dear community and Microsoft support team,
since the release of Windows 8, I'm experiencing a strange issue on my SATA3 1TB HDD (I can specify the exact model if needed), running in AHCI mode.
When copying or moving larger files (starts with files of about 50 MB or more), the file transfer suddenly stops - the transfer rate goes down to 0 bytes/s.
I can't even pause or cancel the progress. The button then just grays out and I can only kill the explorer.exe to get this file task away (it stays there - and if I start another action it just gets joined in the file tasks window below the frozen task.
Here's an image. You can nicely see the sudden stop of the file copy action.
On the left side the progress just froze. It will stay like that _forever_. I tried waiting 2 days because the computer was running anyways. Nothing happened.
On the right side I tried to cancel it, but the buttons just gray out and the label says "Cancelling" - this will also _never_ happen. The other controls react normally to user input (e.g. hiding the details), but the buttons are disabled _forever_. The only way to get rid of this frozen task is to kill explorer.exe.
- I experienced this problem on my and another pc in my old home.
- I experienced it with different fresh and old Windows 8 installations on my current PC (very annoying after copying files back on a fresh Win8 install - it freezes even there).
- It doesn't matter if this happens on local disks or over the network.
- It doesn't matter if details are shown or not.
- I also experienced this on Windows 8.1 Preview on my laptop.
Thanks for any help in advance. If you need additional details, feel free to ask me.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
46 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2013-08-16T04:27:53+00:00 -
Anonymous
2013-08-19T01:37:41+00:00 Hi,
I would suggest you to check the issue in safe mode. Refer the following link:
Method 1:
Follow the steps:
Step 1:
Refer to the link to boot the computer into safe mode and check if you are getting the same error:
**http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode**
Step 2:
If you are not facing the same issue in safe mode, then perhaps, there might be some other application might be responsible for this issue.
Let’s perform Clean Boot on the computer and check if that helps.
You may refer to the link to perform clean Boot:
How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8
Refer to section: Windows 8
**http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135**
Note: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.
Method 2:
I would suggest you to optimize your hard drive and check.
Here’s how you can do so:
Improve performance by optimizing your hard drive
**http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/improve-performance-optimizing-hard-drive**
Important: Data available on bad sectors might be lost when chkdsk tries to repair your hard disc.
Please let us know if the issue persists. We will be happy to assist you further.
-
Anonymous
2013-10-01T17:57:12+00:00 Hi there,
after watching this issue a long time, I have to say it never appeared again after posting here.
Typical demo effect if you ask me. My problem is solved now however. If it returns, I may post here.
Greetings,
PacMani
-
Anonymous
2013-10-02T00:34:24+00:00 Hi,
Glad to know that your issue has been fixed. Reply back if you face any issues with Windows in future.
-
Anonymous
2013-10-11T01:07:21+00:00 I am having the exact same problem. Large file transfers slow to a halt. When I try to cancel the box doesn't go away. I booted into safe mode and large file transfers work fine. This is all after performing a complete format and reinstall of windows 8 using only the drivers Microsoft automatically installed. Help would be appreciated so I don't have to use safe mode for file transfers. Thanks