File transfer of large files suddenly stops

Anonymous
2013-08-14T21:13:39+00:00

Dear community and Microsoft support team,

since the release of Windows 8, I'm experiencing a strange issue on my SATA3 1TB HDD (I can specify the exact model if needed), running in AHCI mode.

When copying or moving larger files (starts with files of about 50 MB or more), the file transfer suddenly stops - the transfer rate goes down to 0 bytes/s.

I can't even pause or cancel the progress. The button then just grays out and I can only kill the explorer.exe to get this file task away (it stays there - and if I start another action it just gets joined in the file tasks window below the frozen task.

Here's an image. You can nicely see the sudden stop of the file copy action.

On the left side the progress just froze. It will stay like that _forever_. I tried waiting 2 days because the computer was running anyways. Nothing happened.

On the right side I tried to cancel it, but the buttons just gray out and the label says "Cancelling" - this will also _never_ happen. The other controls react normally to user input (e.g. hiding the details), but the buttons are disabled _forever_. The only way to get rid of this frozen task is to kill explorer.exe.

  • I experienced this problem on my and another pc in my old home.
  • I experienced it with different fresh and old Windows 8 installations on my current PC (very annoying after copying files back on a fresh Win8 install - it freezes even there).
  • It doesn't matter if this happens on local disks or over the network.
  • It doesn't matter if details are shown or not.
  • I also experienced this on Windows 8.1 Preview on my laptop.

Thanks for any help in advance. If you need additional details, feel free to ask me.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-04T11:57:32+00:00

    Same problem here.

    I did a complete new install 8.1 on a SSD. No other programs installed, only windows 8.1.

    Copying/Transferring of larger files via the network to another device or to a USB stick stops.

    It seems to be random. Sometimes it stops after 8% or 44%, speed is reduced to zero.

    It worked fine till a week ago.

    Anybody an idea? Safe start or clean boot seems not the solution.

    Any help will be appreciated

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-24T20:23:39+00:00

    I'm having the same issue, when it occurs the screen/window flickers and the copy stops.  8.1 clean install, all verified.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-09T22:47:08+00:00

    I have the same issue. The transfer will start and appear to be full speed for a half second, then drop to 0 within 2 seconds. I have found a weird way around this. If you have another program access the drive at the same time, it makes the transfer resume. What I do is open a long video file and scrub back and forth really quick until the transfer completes. I had to transfer a 17GB file so I had to continuously scrub my mouse for a good 4 minutes. As soon as I stop scrubbing the transfer goes back to 0MB/s.

    Because the player seems to want to cache the video, it's not possible to just let it play, since it will be cached before it finishes. One way around this would be to render some large DPX or other uncompressed image sequences and use some software like Scratch or Premiere to play it back, forcing the drive to constantly read. This is annoying because it puts more bandwidth on the transfer and it won't be as fast.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-02T06:48:29+00:00

    I'm having the same problem. It always happens when copying many files from my PC to my USB 3.0 HDD. I'm using Windows 8.1.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-11-29T16:24:55+00:00

    I am having the same exact issue. I have a brand new clean install minus a hanfull of programs like visual studio and sql server. I will try it in safe mode and report back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments