use teracopy, worked for me.
File transfer of large files suddenly stops
Dear community and Microsoft support team,
since the release of Windows 8, I'm experiencing a strange issue on my SATA3 1TB HDD (I can specify the exact model if needed), running in AHCI mode.
When copying or moving larger files (starts with files of about 50 MB or more), the file transfer suddenly stops - the transfer rate goes down to 0 bytes/s.
I can't even pause or cancel the progress. The button then just grays out and I can only kill the explorer.exe to get this file task away (it stays there - and if I start another action it just gets joined in the file tasks window below the frozen task.
Here's an image. You can nicely see the sudden stop of the file copy action.
On the left side the progress just froze. It will stay like that _forever_. I tried waiting 2 days because the computer was running anyways. Nothing happened.
On the right side I tried to cancel it, but the buttons just gray out and the label says "Cancelling" - this will also _never_ happen. The other controls react normally to user input (e.g. hiding the details), but the buttons are disabled _forever_. The only way to get rid of this frozen task is to kill explorer.exe.
- I experienced this problem on my and another pc in my old home.
- I experienced it with different fresh and old Windows 8 installations on my current PC (very annoying after copying files back on a fresh Win8 install - it freezes even there).
- It doesn't matter if this happens on local disks or over the network.
- It doesn't matter if details are shown or not.
- I also experienced this on Windows 8.1 Preview on my laptop.
Thanks for any help in advance. If you need additional details, feel free to ask me.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
46 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2017-08-10T12:48:28+00:00 -
Anonymous
2016-04-09T14:03:18+00:00 SOLUTION!
(1) In my case, I was able to move large files from the problematic drive to other drives without issue, it was only when writing to the drive that there was a bug. So even though my drive was already backed up, hopefully you can back yours up.
(2) Reformat the drive!
(3) Copying large files to the drive now works (for me at least, hopefully you too!).
I hope this solution can help you get past this bug, I'm not sure how the bug itself manifested as I had been using these drive for years with no issues...I did install a new card reader, and then the bug manifested, but not sure how that could have done it...good luck, folks!
Derek
-
Anonymous
2016-04-09T12:46:19+00:00 I think is an issue with the hard drive. I just tried copying the large file (12.4GB) to a different HDD and had no issues. Everything on the problematic drive is backed up, so I'm going to reformat to see if this solves the issue. Will reply back.
-
Anonymous
2016-04-09T12:40:03+00:00 Unfortunately, does not work for everyone as I just tried this...no go.
-
Anonymous
2016-03-27T08:48:15+00:00 When you transfer a file a pop up screen appears.
At the bottom you can choose more or less details.
In my case the screen frozes when choosing more details.
If I choose less details the transfer of the file is going well.
At the moment I don't have the problem anymore.