File transfer of large files suddenly stops

Anonymous
2013-08-14T21:13:39+00:00

Dear community and Microsoft support team,

since the release of Windows 8, I'm experiencing a strange issue on my SATA3 1TB HDD (I can specify the exact model if needed), running in AHCI mode.

When copying or moving larger files (starts with files of about 50 MB or more), the file transfer suddenly stops - the transfer rate goes down to 0 bytes/s.

I can't even pause or cancel the progress. The button then just grays out and I can only kill the explorer.exe to get this file task away (it stays there - and if I start another action it just gets joined in the file tasks window below the frozen task.

Here's an image. You can nicely see the sudden stop of the file copy action.

On the left side the progress just froze. It will stay like that _forever_. I tried waiting 2 days because the computer was running anyways. Nothing happened.

On the right side I tried to cancel it, but the buttons just gray out and the label says "Cancelling" - this will also _never_ happen. The other controls react normally to user input (e.g. hiding the details), but the buttons are disabled _forever_. The only way to get rid of this frozen task is to kill explorer.exe.

  • I experienced this problem on my and another pc in my old home.
  • I experienced it with different fresh and old Windows 8 installations on my current PC (very annoying after copying files back on a fresh Win8 install - it freezes even there).
  • It doesn't matter if this happens on local disks or over the network.
  • It doesn't matter if details are shown or not.
  • I also experienced this on Windows 8.1 Preview on my laptop.

Thanks for any help in advance. If you need additional details, feel free to ask me.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-07-04T04:06:24+00:00

    I have the same problem. If anyone has linux, does this problem still persists ? 

    Please tell if it doesn't.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-07-04T04:02:11+00:00

    Linux support is much better than this. I don't think they ever check these forums. We need a windows developer here. They don't use this platform to listen to queries but just expect users to solve problems among themselves. Shameful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-06-23T02:35:48+00:00

    Indeed when you are not getting "more details" (no graph), the copy operation is faster.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-07T02:49:20+00:00

    I've just had this problem with usb3 external 2TB drive. All seemed Ok until yesterday transferring large files back and forth. Chkdsk on all drives : no problems, changed cables -- same problem. defragged all drives no improvement. Trird changing usb3 port then USB2 and the same problem still there. No problem movbing large files on internal SATA just via USB. CAn't think of what else to do or how to get round it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-04-03T11:52:50+00:00
    • Open Control Paneland select Programs and Features.
    • Select Turn Windows features on or off from the pane on the left-hand side.
    • Search for Remote Differential Compression API Support and check the box next to it.
    • Click OK to save the changes.
    • Please try and let me know.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments