File transfer of large files suddenly stops

Anonymous
2013-08-14T21:13:39+00:00

Dear community and Microsoft support team,

since the release of Windows 8, I'm experiencing a strange issue on my SATA3 1TB HDD (I can specify the exact model if needed), running in AHCI mode.

When copying or moving larger files (starts with files of about 50 MB or more), the file transfer suddenly stops - the transfer rate goes down to 0 bytes/s.

I can't even pause or cancel the progress. The button then just grays out and I can only kill the explorer.exe to get this file task away (it stays there - and if I start another action it just gets joined in the file tasks window below the frozen task.

Here's an image. You can nicely see the sudden stop of the file copy action.

On the left side the progress just froze. It will stay like that _forever_. I tried waiting 2 days because the computer was running anyways. Nothing happened.

On the right side I tried to cancel it, but the buttons just gray out and the label says "Cancelling" - this will also _never_ happen. The other controls react normally to user input (e.g. hiding the details), but the buttons are disabled _forever_. The only way to get rid of this frozen task is to kill explorer.exe.

  • I experienced this problem on my and another pc in my old home.
  • I experienced it with different fresh and old Windows 8 installations on my current PC (very annoying after copying files back on a fresh Win8 install - it freezes even there).
  • It doesn't matter if this happens on local disks or over the network.
  • It doesn't matter if details are shown or not.
  • I also experienced this on Windows 8.1 Preview on my laptop.

Thanks for any help in advance. If you need additional details, feel free to ask me.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-04-15T20:57:10+00:00

    Interesting... I'll have to give it a try again the next time I transfer a group of files or one large file, I've been using a third party application I found called 'One Commander' that seems to be working fine with transfers.

    Like you, the transfer speed either decreased to zero in the middle of a transfer or never went above 0% but would allow one or two files at a time to transfer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-24T20:23:39+00:00

    I'm having the same issue, when it occurs the screen/window flickers and the copy stops.  8.1 clean install, all verified.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-29T16:24:55+00:00

    I am having the same exact issue. I have a brand new clean install minus a hanfull of programs like visual studio and sql server. I will try it in safe mode and report back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-10-01T17:57:12+00:00

    Hi there,

    after watching this issue a long time, I have to say it never appeared again after posting here.

    Typical demo effect if you ask me. My problem is solved now however. If it returns, I may post here.

    Greetings,

    PacMani

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-08-15T21:14:24+00:00

    It doesn't matter if an external drive is part of the operation. internal and even the same drives (only different partitions) cause this problem. The external drive i mentioned is already NTFS

    ========================================

    Sorry, it was just a thought.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments