File transfer of large files suddenly stops

Anonymous
2013-08-14T21:13:39+00:00

Dear community and Microsoft support team,

since the release of Windows 8, I'm experiencing a strange issue on my SATA3 1TB HDD (I can specify the exact model if needed), running in AHCI mode.

When copying or moving larger files (starts with files of about 50 MB or more), the file transfer suddenly stops - the transfer rate goes down to 0 bytes/s.

I can't even pause or cancel the progress. The button then just grays out and I can only kill the explorer.exe to get this file task away (it stays there - and if I start another action it just gets joined in the file tasks window below the frozen task.

Here's an image. You can nicely see the sudden stop of the file copy action.

On the left side the progress just froze. It will stay like that _forever_. I tried waiting 2 days because the computer was running anyways. Nothing happened.

On the right side I tried to cancel it, but the buttons just gray out and the label says "Cancelling" - this will also _never_ happen. The other controls react normally to user input (e.g. hiding the details), but the buttons are disabled _forever_. The only way to get rid of this frozen task is to kill explorer.exe.

  • I experienced this problem on my and another pc in my old home.
  • I experienced it with different fresh and old Windows 8 installations on my current PC (very annoying after copying files back on a fresh Win8 install - it freezes even there).
  • It doesn't matter if this happens on local disks or over the network.
  • It doesn't matter if details are shown or not.
  • I also experienced this on Windows 8.1 Preview on my laptop.

Thanks for any help in advance. If you need additional details, feel free to ask me.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-19T15:37:13+00:00

    I was transferring photos from my phone to win 10 via bluetooth, and after 4 pics, progress bar froze. 

    I cancelled and restarted, and progress bar froze in first pic. 

    I rebooted pc and every time transfer froze on first pic. Each file size is 4.25MB, and I have 5 pics to transfer from Huawei phone to win 10 PC. 

    I transferred to Mac, and transfer works ok.

    I then transferred from Mac to PC, and transfer froze again.

    So large file transfers via bluetooth to Win 10 PC doesn't work with default settings.

    I then changed the below setting, and large file transfers work fine on win 10 PC:

    The Remote Differential Compression task compresses data before it is sent over the network. This takes a considerable amount of time and can lead to congestion. Speed up the file copying, moving or deleting process by disabling this process.

    1. Open Control Panel and select Programs and Features.
    2. Now select Turn Windows features on or off from the pane on the left-hand side.
    3. Search for Remote Differential Compression API Support and uncheck the box next to it.
    4. Click OK to save the changes.
    5. Reboot PC

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-07T02:49:20+00:00

    I've just had this problem with usb3 external 2TB drive. All seemed Ok until yesterday transferring large files back and forth. Chkdsk on all drives : no problems, changed cables -- same problem. defragged all drives no improvement. Trird changing usb3 port then USB2 and the same problem still there. No problem movbing large files on internal SATA just via USB. CAn't think of what else to do or how to get round it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-06-19T22:55:15+00:00

    This problem seems common with windows 8.1.  I have been experiencing it for several months now.  I used to be able to copy large video files from my DVD player to hard drive with no problems.  Then out of the blue, after one of Microsoft's "upgrades", the problem cropped up.  Good luck getting any help from Microsoft David.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-10-19T01:40:46+00:00

    Hi,

    Did you check whether the issue occurs in a Clean Boot state?

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-08-19T01:37:41+00:00

    Hi,

    I would suggest you to check the issue in safe mode. Refer the following link:

    Method 1:

    Follow the steps:

    Step 1:

    Refer to the link to boot the computer into safe mode and check if you are getting the same error:

    **http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode**

    Step 2:

    If you are not facing the same issue in safe mode, then perhaps, there might be some other application might be responsible for this issue.

    Let’s perform Clean Boot on the computer and check if that helps.

    You may refer to the link to perform clean Boot:

    How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

    Refer to section: Windows 8

    **http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135**

    Note: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

    Method 2:

    I would suggest you to optimize your hard drive and check.

    Here’s how you can do so:

    Improve performance by optimizing your hard drive

    **http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/improve-performance-optimizing-hard-drive** 

    Important:  Data available on bad sectors might be lost when chkdsk tries to repair your hard disc.

    Please let us know if the issue persists. We will be happy to assist you further.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments