I need a windows 7 disc. My eMachine came without one.. Getting this error: "There is an error with your installation. Please reinstall the application"

Anonymous
2013-05-05T23:55:55+00:00

I need a win 7 disc. Either full disc or restart disc. I cannot even start my computer. Continually get "Setup is starting services".  another window opes saying "Install Windows - There is an error with your installation. Please reinstall the application". This keeps coming up continually.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-05-13T22:14:07+00:00

Hello Steve,

Assuming that you were able to burn the Windows 7 ISO file to a DVD, that is your "Boot Media".  What may be happening is that your first boot device - the device your computer boots from - is not your DVD drive.

To get around this, reboot your computer and as you do press and hold the F12 key. That will bring up a menu that will allow you to select the DVD burner (player) as your first boot device. Select that, insert your DVD, and press any key to start the installation process.

Let me know if this helps you out.

Regards,

BearPup

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-05-16T23:18:27+00:00

    Hello Again Steve,

    This is to follow-up my last post. In order to do a full, clean install of windows you need to have access to a DVD burner (player/recorder). This might be on your computer or on someone else's computer that you use to make the data file you need.

    The full, clean Windows install requires a DVD disc burned (made / recorded) on a DVD player. You will in turn use this DVD to actually install the Windows OS. A CD is nowhere near big enough. If all you have is a CD player, and don't have access to a DVD player, then you will have to buy the DVD Installation Disc.

    But, buying the Installation Disc is not the same as buying the Product Key (phew!). You already have a Product Key (that's the sticker on the bottom of your laptop). Confused? Not to worry, its easy to get mixed up.

    Let's start at the beginning. Do you have a CD player / burner or a DVD player / burner? And do you have a DVD disc or just a CD disc? Answer these questions and we'll proceed on track.

    Regards,

    BearPup

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-05-16T23:03:38+00:00

    Hello Steve,

    Yes, that is the problem. When you burn a disc you are creating an ISO image, which is far more than a mere copy of a file. I'm also not sure why you have two files, but I'd suggest burning a DVD disc (not a CD, a CD isn't large enough to hold the full DVD) as follows:

    1. On the computer you downloaded the copy of the ISO file (your first file), right-click on the file and click "Burn to disc...". If you can't do that, download the following program and use it to burn the ISO file to disc:  http://download.cnet.com/ImgBurn/3000-2646_4-10847481.html .
    2. Once you have the ISO file burned to a disc, that is your Boot Media. That will then install Windows onto your computer. If you buy the full Winodows DVD, you will be buying what you just downloaded for free and burned to a DVD!
    3. The 'second file' that you have is not something that should be left over after successfully downloading the complete ISO file - so I have to ask, did you download the full ISO file or did the download get stopped part of the way through?

    Let me know how you get through these instructions and we'll go from there. OK?

    Regards,

    BearPup

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-05-16T22:35:49+00:00

    Bear Pup, Is there a difference in Burning the File to to a CD, or copying it to a CD. I did not have a data disk that would hold both the files, so I copied them to 2 disks, and not burn them, this was the only way I could get them saved.

    The two files I copied were X17-58997.ISO  / 3.09GB and X17-58997.ISO.PART  / 1.20GB

    Could this be the problem? Thanx Again

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-05-16T22:23:52+00:00

    I have tried the following Recovery Methods that are on the disk.

    1. When I click "Load Drivers" I get numerous folders and files. I don't which one to load.
    2. Startup Repair: Gives me a list of details, but I can not copy them because I have no way to save them.
    3. System Restore: Gives me a list of restore points, but none of them can be checked. I get this message,

        "you must always restore the drive that contains windows, restore the other drives is optional. Windws is on the "D" drive which is my dvd/cd drive.

    1. Wont restore from "System Image Recovery" Says Windows cannot find a syatem Image on this computer.
    2. Windows memory Diaignostis Checke the system, details I cannot save.
    3. Command Prompt: I don't know what prompt to us.

    My Machine is an eMachine EL136G - UW12P-HDMI  64 bit Windows 7.

    This is the best way I can explain what I am doing. I know this must be a pain for you, because it is a pain for me. I am really considering getting a Windows 7 Full Install Disk, and a hard drive. Thank you for your  help[.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments