I had received an email fromHanvon/Hanwang that GraphicPal 0806 is not supported under Win8 because in the new drivers for Win8 they did not include the old chip set.
Windows 8 and the Hanvon/Hanwang GraphicPal 0806
Hi,
I'm struggling to get my GraphicPal 0806 tablet to work at all in windows 8. I've tried all the tricks I can think of, and have tried both the Win 8 specific drivers and the older drivers available on their website. In the best case scenario so far the following happens:
- The HWTablet control panel loads successfully but finds no tablet.
- The tablet is recognised by Win 8 in Devices & Printers as "Tablet" but does not appear to use the driver from the installer.
- It does not operate the mouse pointer and is not recognised in any other software (e.g. Photoshop).
This worked fine in my old Windows 7 install and also still works fine in Mountain Lion on my laptop.
I've tried to contact hanvon/hanwang directly for help but their support email address bounces with a mailbox full error, a problem I cannot see disappearing any time soon as it's been a month now.
So to summarise, it appears to be a Windows 8 specific driver issue, there are windows 8 drivers available but I cannot discover if they have worked for anyone else.... both google and bing foo eludes me. :D
Can anyone here offer advice that isn't "Go and buy a Wacom"?
Thanks,
Paul
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 additional answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2013-01-27T22:22:30+00:00 I located the Hanvon Graphicpal 0504 User's Manual. Instructions are different for installation.
Connect the drawing tablet’s USB cable to the computer’s USB port.
1) Insert the driver CD into the CD-ROM drive. The Installation Menu
should pop-up automatically. If the menu does not appear,
double-click the My Computer icon on the desktop, find the
AutoRun.exe file under the CD-Rom's root directory and double-click it.
2) Click on Install Driver for Graphic Tablet button to install the driver and
click on Install Hanvon Soft to install the bundled software
Manual link
-
Anonymous
2013-02-01T17:37:32+00:00 Ah no. Because the drivers don't work.
-
Anonymous
2013-02-01T17:42:45+00:00 I finally have an answer from Hanvon. And sadly the answer is rather final:
The answers is there is a change on main chipset in the tablet, but it is not supported by windows 8. The worst case is that this product phased out in early 2012.
I am very sorry for this situation
Shame... so despite the final sentence on my original email the answer IS go and buy a Wacom. Quite clearly this isn't a case of "can't" support the product, 'change in main chipset' be damned; this is a case of WON'T support the product.
So yeah, GraphicPal 0806 will not and never will work with Windows 8 it seems. Note however this is not 'can not' as it's possible to write drivers however Hanvon won't, nor will they patch their alleged Windows 8 drivers to work.
That's the first and last Hanvon product I buy then.
Yeah I am pissed off. Poor show Hanvon/Hanwang and terrible customer support. Though the gentleman I did get hold of (his name was Frank apparently) was courteous and helpful. I blame the firm not the individual.
-
Anonymous
2013-02-02T03:23:00+00:00 So the new drivers only support the new version of their product and not the one we have.
What if we install the old version of drivers, the one that worked on windows7. Wouldn't it work? Or is windows8 not recognizing the Hanvon old windows7 driver?
It is the only thing I did not try. I went to the website directly and downloaded their newest driver.
Last but not least Hanvon support should be more specific about what a driver supports.
They are so bad.