Windows Update error 80072efe or 80072f76

Anonymous
2013-03-31T13:50:13+00:00

I run windows update and it fails with this error message. I have downloaded the cab file and run it locally. I still get this message after it was 'fixed'. It generates a log file that is over ten thousand lines long. There does not appear to be a mechanism for attaching files so I will paste it only on request.

In the meantime here is the outputReport

Proxy :

Last Installed Update :Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems,03/31/2013 13:30:14

Last Displayed Error :2013-03-31 14:32:09:394 1008 1748 AU # WARNING: Install failed, error = 0x80070643 / 0x00009C48

Language settings :en-US

bits : Running

wuauserv : Running

WORKGROUP :XXXX

Windows Update Agent Version :7.6.7600.256

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP: 1

CPU Type : x64

OS Architecture :64-bit

RS_ResetBits : Bits is stopped

RS_ResetBits : wuauserv is stopped

RS_ResetBits : : bits Running

RS_ResetBits : : wuauserv Running

RES_GenWUError : Bits is stopped

RES_GenWUError : wuauserv is stopped

RES_GenWUError : CryptSvc is stopped

RES_GENWUError : : CryptSvc Running

RES_GENWUError : : bits Running

RES_GENWUError : : wuauserv Running

<IE9>

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-02T22:12:36+00:00

    1: No. I used ccleaner just to remove temporary files and registry entries it classed as unused. I removed the services either with windows uninstall or disabled them in msconfig and deleting them the old fashioned way. 

    2: 2nd April 2013 (today)

    3: No.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-02T21:32:53+00:00
    1. REPOSTING: Did you use CCleaner's Registry Cleaner component or its Programs to Remove tool to remove the "three active [iTunes-related] services?"
    2. What is the date of the very first "Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems" [sic] entry in Update History?
    3. Do any of those entries state that "Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems" [sic] was successfully installed and if so, what is its date?

    Note: I am NOT asking about entries that read "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 in Windows 7 x64 Edition (KB2809289)" or similar!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-02T21:07:41+00:00

    1: No. I uninstalled iTunes using windows uninstall and found there were still three active services, all from apple, still running. So I used ccleaner to see what else iTunes had loaded onto my machine. And it was quite a lot I seem to remember.

    2: Early last year sometime (A while ago).

    3: No particular reason, I just did not like it. But once I realised it had not fully unistalled I decided it was computer cancer and was glad I was rid of it.

    4: No. (Was not even aware of it).

    5: 27th February 2013

    6:  I installed ie9 last year sometime. I have since tried to install ie10, unsuccessfully. All that stuff in my history I assumed was an update to an existing installation, not an attempt to install it. My bad. Anyway, it did not install, if failed. When I say the "only thing in my history", I mean it is the same thing, but more than once. There are currently nine of them, all today 2nd April 2013. So the one I opened the question with on 31st March is not there either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-04-02T20:17:08+00:00
    1. Did you use CCleaner's Registry Cleaner or its Programs to Remove tool to "uninstall" iTunes?
    2. When (exact date, preferably) did you use CCleaner to "uninstall" iTunes?
    3. Why did you need to "uninstall" iTunes?
    4. Did you recently run Win7's Windows Update troubleshooter for some reason? [1]
    5. When (exact date) was KB2670838 installed according to Installed Updates? [2]
    6. In your previous reply, you told me:

    ie9 is not [listed] in the update history

    And now you just told me:

    The only thing in my Update History is "Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems"

    When (exact date) was Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems installed according to Update History?

    
    In an upcoming reply, I'll tell you how to stop Automatic Updates from continuing to offer
    **Windows Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems**.
    
    =========================================================  
    
    [1] This would explain why your **Update History** only displays one (1) update (i.e., IE9).
    
    [2] I am *NOT* suggesting or recommending that you uninstall KB2670838 at this point!
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-04-02T19:58:16+00:00

    1: The Avira licence is active until july 2013. I assume it is automatic because I do not remember licensing it.

    2: Yes, to uninstall iTunes, because I could not get it to leave without it.

    3: The only thing in my Update History is "Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems"

    4: KB2670838 is in installed updates.

    Are you suggesting that I uninstall KB2670838?

    It is not ie10 so much, but I want the update to not be in my status bar, failing every couple of hours. Whilst I am a home user, I did pay for this os. If a feature is not going to be supported, it should not be offered.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments