Performed the above instructions exactly as requested.
Failed with error code 9C48 Windows Update encountered an unknown error.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I run windows update and it fails with this error message. I have downloaded the cab file and run it locally. I still get this message after it was 'fixed'. It generates a log file that is over ten thousand lines long. There does not appear to be a mechanism for attaching files so I will paste it only on request.
In the meantime here is the outputReport
Proxy :
Last Installed Update :Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems,03/31/2013 13:30:14
Last Displayed Error :2013-03-31 14:32:09:394 1008 1748 AU # WARNING: Install failed, error = 0x80070643 / 0x00009C48
Language settings :en-US
bits : Running
wuauserv : Running
WORKGROUP :XXXX
Windows Update Agent Version :7.6.7600.256
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP: 1
CPU Type : x64
OS Architecture :64-bit
RS_ResetBits : Bits is stopped
RS_ResetBits : wuauserv is stopped
RS_ResetBits : : bits Running
RS_ResetBits : : wuauserv Running
RES_GenWUError : Bits is stopped
RES_GenWUError : wuauserv is stopped
RES_GenWUError : CryptSvc is stopped
RES_GENWUError : : CryptSvc Running
RES_GENWUError : : bits Running
RES_GENWUError : : wuauserv Running
<IE9>
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Performed the above instructions exactly as requested.
Failed with error code 9C48 Windows Update encountered an unknown error.
ACTIONS
[You will want to print these instructions for offline reference. IMPORTANT => DON'T SKIP ANY STEP & perform all Steps in one, uninterrupted session! If a Step says to reboot,reboot!]
2a. Right-click on the following link and SAVE the download to your desktop: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/reg/chromehtml.reg [2]
2b. Double-click on the file you saved in #2a above & accept the prompt to MERGE the data with the Registry.
Note=> For optimal results, check the Delete personal settings option.
4a. Open Internet Explorer (only!) to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336 [ignore the title & Symptoms].
4b. IMPORTANT! => Dismiss/close the Windows Update troubleshooter pop-up! - then...
4c. Ignoring any "Not recommended" or similar warnings, run Fix It 50202 in DEFAULT and then AGGRESSIVE modes. [3]
5a. Reboot then run a manual check for updates, uncheck & then hide Bing Desktop (KB2694771)...
5b. ...then agree to install any security-related updates offered (if any); follow all prompts.
• HOW TO run a manual check for updates
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/How-can-I-tell-if-my-computer-is-up-to-date
• HOW TO Hide an Update or Restore a Hidden Update
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/24376-windows-update-hide-restore-hidden-updates.html
====================================================
[1] After we've finished this thread, feel free to reassert one of your alternate browsers as your default if you wish.
[2] Trusted Source: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/this-operation-has-been-cancelled-due-to-restrictions/
[3] Full Disclosure: Running the Fix It in AGGRESSIVE mode will delete your Update History but not the list of Installed Updates.
yes.....
I understand. Nevertheless, that does not answer my question, Harry.
I didn't ask if you'd attempted to download/install Bing Desktop or if you wanted it, I asked if Bing Desktop (i.e., KB2694771) was the update still being offered when you run a manual check for updates?
Just answer YES or NO.
I have made no attempt to down load the bing desktop as I do not want it.